How to edit default issue type scheme (or how to remove issue type from being global)?

I apologize if someone already ask this before...but I cannot search the answer here. basically I am using 4.4.1 and I cannot remove certain issue types from being global or in the default issue types scheme. THis gets a bit annoying as my default scheme is getting bigger and bigger on the new issues types that I just added (when in reality those new issue types is only for one issue type scheme)

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

It's an ancient bug. The key thing is, before anyone starts using jira, make a copy of the default issue type scheme and call it "out of the box scheme" or something, then whenever you create a new project make sure it uses this.

Because you can't remove them from the default scheme. And the longer projects use the default scheme, the more likely they are to use various issue types that you never intended them to use, then you can't switch them to a simpler scheme.

Well, you can swap them to a more simple scheme, but that means you have to get them to tell you what to change all the issue types they are losing too. (e.g. if the new scheme doesn't contain "bug", then change all the "bugs" to "features")

any update on this? Or is there at least a way on how the default scheme that projects use when they are created can be changed (away from the default scheme to the "simple scheme" describe by Nic above)?

Sorin, not really. The default scheme has some logic and reason behind it, so I don't think Atlassian will ever remove it.

I don't think people really mind it being there as a "contains all of them automatically list" either. The problem is mostly that the damn thing gets right in the way because there's no way to stop it from inflicting itself on every new project.

Jamie linked to the main bug already in his answer, and I'd recommend a quick look/vote on the linked issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-8926 as well.

This is a feature, not a bug.

If all projects inherit from some new scheme and a given default scheme is 100% unused, what's the point of keeping the default scheme? If it's just to keep administrators from accidentally making changes to several projects because they aren't paying attention, reassigning all the projects to some new scheme just kicks the can down the road a step further since the exact same issues can crop up, just with different non-default schemes.

Sorry to say, there's no way to program around people not reading the manual.

Alright.
I read the manual and I'm clearly understanding the need for default schemes.
But you can't call it a feature if it's implemented... ... "like that".

Pros:

• Jira needs a default issue type scheme for automatic inheritance on project creation.

Cons:

• You can't modify the crucial parts of it at all.
  • You can't flag any scheme as the new default scheme.
  • you can't even select a scheme on project creation.

Which results in enormous administrative work. (Create project -> assign a wanted scheme -> delete the useless inherited scheme)

So how can this be a feature? We don't have a DRTL issue here. The idea was great but it was implemented like a bug.... ..... for 6 years now.

And it's not only the issue type scheme. Same goes for:

• Workflows
  • Screens
  • Boards

(Did i forgot something?)

Greetings
Nik

Nikolas I completely agree with you, I am having a hard time as an Admin to make my team understand how hard it is to keep changing stuff for them , like I always have to change the default screen schemes, add new fields for them , add new new workflows. There is no point in having default stuff created to a project when we would want to change it in future anyways.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

292 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you