How to edit an approved test case in Jira?

Akash Musku March 23, 2023

Hi,

I have a couple of old testcases in a testset which need to be updated. But since the testcase was approved long back, I'm unable to edit them. Does anyone know if deactivating the test case will set it back to the draft status where it can be edited and approved again? Or is cloning the testcase and editing the cloned one the better alternative?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

Hi @Akash Musku and welcome to the community,

Which app are you using for test management?

Hi Alex, we are using Xray for test management.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

@Akash Musku according to the official documentation https://docs.getxray.app/display/ON/Cloud+Editing+a+Test editing a test should be easy while opening the issue. Is your tests follow a custom workflow?

Hi Alex, we follow this workflow:

Draft -> In use -> Approved -> Deactivated.

The test case I'm trying to edit is already approved. I just created a trial ticket and tried the workflow from start to finish. After a ticket is approved / deactivated, there is no option to go back to draft / in use (a test case can only be edited in these two stages). At least I don't have the requisite permissions to do this.

I guess I'll just clone the test case and replace the original one with the edited clone version in the test set.

Thanks for your input. Have a nice day :)

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2023

...or you can speak to your jira admin and amend the workflow.

Like Akash Musku likes this

Suggest an answer