• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to edit Test fileds in issue view screen in JIRA

Hello Team,

We have created few of fields with "Multi Test line Box" for one of issue type in our JIRA Project.

And those fields are added to view and edit screen, but we are not able to view those fields in view screen.

Please let me know how can get multi test fields to view in issue view screen and can edit in view screen it self 

1 answer

0 votes

For custom fields to be visible on view, you need the fields to be on screen and have data in them.  Jira hides fields that are empty (to lessen the clutter you see on view, before you ask)

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_can you explain why I can't edit a multiline field that is hidden until the issue is created? They also show up in the context area as opposed to the description area of the issue because I have them as hidden fields until they get a TBD entry added during creation by automation.

You have them as hidden fields - you'll need to un-hide them to get them visible.

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ Visibility is not the issue in my case. I can see them but I can't edit them. I have them in the issue screen but I put them in the hide when empty section of the layout.

I then have automation set a default value of TBD in the field when the issue is created. The fields are visible at this point with the default value. I am unable to edit them unless I run them through a screen in a transition. I can edit them in the transition but not when I get back to my main screen.

I thought it might have to do with not placing these fields in the Description section of the layout but even after moving one of them to that area, I am still unable to edit the field.

Ah, thank you, that's clarified it.

You need to put the fields on the "edit" screen for the project and issue type.   It's not the layout stuff that matters, but the screens.

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_thanks again for the quick response. I think I may have figured it out. It looks like I may have been using the wrong screen (I have two that I'm trying to use) even though they have the same configuration of fields.

I'm trying to get around the constraints of not being able to get any additional add-ons such as your script runner to make my Epic layout be different depending on use. I wish Atlassian would allow for more than one Epic issue type.

I'll post again once I get it all sorted out.

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_you're assessment was correct. I had inadvertently mixed up which screens I was using. I'm now able to edit the fields as I expected.

I now have a question regarding the new cloud workings where they are recommending a unified screen instead of having different screens for create/view/edit. What defines when View is used instead of Edit? Is Edit only used for transitions and View is everything else other than Create if that screen is defined?

Ahh, I always get screens mixed up, staring at the wrong one and thinking "it can't be this one".

With Classic projects, screens are used in four places - View really is just the issue view, when you click on it and get it filling most of the screen, although it does kick into the pop-outs in some places.  Create screen is only used on creation of a new issue.  Edit is used in two places - when you click Edit and when you are in "view", then it uses the edit screen to work out which fields you can cllick to do inline edit.  Transitions are totally separate to those three though.  (However, you can use the same screen for any or all of those actions). 

Thanks Nic. I now get it. Since I'm using Cloud and the new issue view it's click and play, hence my total confusion on why I couldn't originally edit. I've already forgotten that the old-style issue view would have an Edit button if you were allowed to edit otherwise you would get the viewscreen if I remember correctly.

So if I have this correct in my head now, I can create a View screen to show all of the fields and an Edit screen to limit what fields can be changed. I realize I can also limit all of the fields from being edited by permissions and issue security.

BTW, I can't thank you enough for responding to this. I know I can trust your responses to be correct. If I am looking for how to do something and get into the community responses after exhausting the documentation resources, I usually end up at one of your responses to someone else's question and that's when I know I've reached the end of my search. 🤣

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you