How to do Jira issue linking with conventional commits?

David Ham January 7, 2022

I have a new team-managed project and I want to enable issue linking so I can see Github references in Jira. I'd also like to use conventional commits. But the Jira docs on issue linking say you need to have your Jira issue number at the beginning of your commit message/PR, which would break conventional commits, which require a commit to begin with `feat:` or `fix:` or `docs:` or the like. Is there a way to have both?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2022

Hey @David Ham 

Welcome to Atlassian Community!!

Yes it works, you can both !!

As long as you mention the Issue-key in commit message/PR it should link to jira issue and show up in Jira development panel.

Github Commit:

Github_Jira_Integration_1.png

Jira Issue Development panel:

Github_Jira_Integration.png

Hope this helps !!

Regards,

Vishwas

David Ham January 10, 2022

Yes, thank you! We had another configuration issue as well that was blocking our setup, but now we are up and running. Thanks for your reply!

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2022

Great to listen !!

Enjoy your week !

Please feel free to accept the answer in case it helped, for community posterity .

Suggest an answer