How to display user name of user picker field in Jira Issue Macro

Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2017

We use in Issues a customfield with a user picker. If i use the Jira Issue Macro in Confluence, the user picker field shows only the user-id and not the user name.

Is there a way i can show the user name instead of the user id?

Thanks for your tipps.
Roman

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
PhillipS December 1, 2017

Roman - 

I did about 5 minutes of digging and quickly found that everyone is coming up with custom code solutions to this problem.  My solution, for instance, is needed to display the full name on a report in confluence, but we don't really care if it shows up in jira (but it easily could by adding it to the screen if needed).  I created a scripted field under admin->add-ons->scripted fields (this is a plugin you'll need, but pretty much everyone has it).

The Code is below

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser

def customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
def customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("The Name of your User picker custom field")
ApplicationUser user = (ApplicationUser)issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField)
return user ? user.getDisplayName() : "No User"
Nadhima Brandis April 12, 2018

Hi Philip 

Thank you for posting this solution. I was able to get the scripted field working in Jira. 

However, it still would not display the scripted field in Confluence. 

Can you please advise what type of scripted field you created. 

We are using confluence 5.9, quite outdated, not sure if this is the cause. 

Thank you

Nadhima

PhillipS April 12, 2018

I created an HTML field type, but I would think it works with Text Field as well?

we are on Jira Server v7.3.8

Adaptavist Scriptrunner for JIRA v5.3.9

Nadhima Brandis April 12, 2018

Philip, was an issue on our end, we worked it out. Thank you for your solution.

Like asyc likes this
Roman Joss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2018

Hi Philip

I'm sorry for my late reply. I almoust forgot that, but but today i had the messages in the inbox.

Your scripted field work perfect, even if we use german special characters. That is a solution for single Projects where the users aks for. Unfortunately not all users asks at the support.

As we try to Keep the amount of fields as small as possible, it is also a bit pity that this results in additional fields. But it is a workaround.

Thanks for your help!

0 votes
PhillipS December 1, 2017

Roman - 

I came here looking for an answer to the same problem.  I'm going to spend some time looking for an answer for something straight out of the box, but I know this can be accomplished by making a simple scripted field that pulls the information out of the user picker and then displays the name in a separate field based on the script.

I'll report my findings back here, whether I find something out of the box or develop a script

Suggest an answer