How to display only next 3 transitions on the ticket while moving ticket from one status to next?

Amruta Pelapkar December 14, 2020

Hello,

How to display only next 3 transitions on the ticket while moving ticket from one status to next? for example currently my ticket is in "In Progress" so ticket can be moved any of  "In Code Review", "QA", "Kick Back" these statuses. 

Currently team members can see all the statuses from "To Do" to "Done".

Following ways I have tried but no luck

i) added conditions on the statuses

ii) Added opsbar-sequence property on transitions

iii) Changed in Project permission scheme permission "Transition Permission"

Can anyone suggest the solution for showing limited statuses to team so that they won't get confused what would be appropriate next move for ticket.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2020

Hi @Amruta Pelapkar 

Unfortunately, if your workflow statuses use global transitions, Jira doesn't know what the 'next 3' statuses will be, as the global statuses are not set in any particular order. If a transition is available and all of the workflow conditions (if any) are met, then the transition will be displayed to the user

If you're wanting to only show certain transitions when you're in a particular status, I would recommend editing the workflow so that it is more linear (and remove the global transitions). You could add transitions to the previous status and transitions to the next 1, 2 or 3 statuses to allow some flexibility, but if all statuses have global transitions then they will be visible to the user (assuming there are no conditions hiding the transition).

Amruta Pelapkar December 15, 2020

What is the difference between global transitions and common transitions as well as global status as well as common statuses? How to find out whether current workflow uses which type of statuses and transitions?

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2020

You can make a transition global by clicking on the status in the workflow editor and ticking this tickbox. This means that from anywhere in the workflow, you can transition to this status (hence the 'All' box next to the transition in the below image), assuming there are no blocking conditions on this global transition.

What I would call a 'standard' workflow transition are the other transitions you can see in the screenshot - where I have specifically created a transition from one status to another.

From what it sounds like, your workflow is using global transitions, so you can transition to any status regardless of where you are in the workflow. By removing these global transitions and instead using individual transitions between statuses, you are able to direct the issues through the workflow in a more organised way, so only the available transitions between statuses will be visible to the users.

transitions.png

Like Amruta Pelapkar likes this

ok understood. Yeah my all transitions are global then. Thanks for this detail explanation. It's really helpful

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2020

opsbar-sequence changes the order transitions appear in.

There's no code for arbitrarily hiding valid transitions.  They're there for a reason.

If you genuinely want to stop someone using a transition, put conditions on it to prevent them using it, then it won't appear on the list.

Thanks for this feedback. Yeah I tried using conditions but even after adding the "group" level access condition, whole group can see all the transitions at any point. Are you suggesting I should include status conditions on each transition? It would be very complicated and tedious to set up this. Any other solution?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2020

>but even after adding the "group" level access condition, whole group can see all the transitions at any point.

I don't think you've put the right condition on the transitions.

>Are you suggesting I should include status conditions on each transition? It would be very complicated and tedious to set up this. Any other solution?

There's no other way to do this.  And if there were, you would need to implement it on every transition individually anyway.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events