How to display only Stories on jira backlog?

Bryan Liff December 30, 2014

With the default JIRA Agile "backlog" board all [non-Epic] issue types are displayed (Bugs, Tasks, Improvements, and Stories), but a true "backlog" should only display (consider) Stories.

But when the default configuration is updated to only display Stories, then the Epics disappear from the Epics panel as well as their tags in the Story list view.

How can I display only Stories in the Agile (Scrum) backlog by default without changing any other display / filter criteria?

Default Backlog (all issuetype view)
Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 10.34.13 PM.png

Backlog with issuetype Story filter
Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 10.35.10 PM.png 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 31, 2014

Hi Bryan,

It isn't possible to configure the board to do that without changing its filters. However, you should be able to do it by simply adding "AND issuetype in (Story, Epic)" to the board's filter. e.g.:

project = DEMO and issuetype in (Story, Epic) ORDER BY Rank ASC

I hope this helps!

Bryan Liff December 31, 2014

Perfect, this is exactly what I needed - thanks!

Tana Parker December 14, 2015

Does this still allow bugs, tasks and sub-tasks to be visible in the Active Sprints view (while excluded from the Backlog view)?

Paolo Franco Solinas May 1, 2020

Perfect. this was just what i needed. Thank you

2 votes
Barrie Treloar January 10, 2018

This is now possible.

Click the on Board screen click the '...' more dropdown in the top right and choose `Board settings`.

Under the `Quick Filters` add a new one with the jql of `issueType in (Story)` (as per @Matheus Fernandesreply include Epic if you want them too).

vivekm2019 May 25, 2020

Wonderful. Saved my day.  Thank @Barrie Treloar 

0 votes
niyati September 25, 2018

go to issues & filters >> all issues >> advanced search >> choose type : stories 

and other filters to narrow down your stories list 

Karthekeyan_Sundararaj November 1, 2019

Got it. I can now see stories only. But this view does not show the sprint that the story is addressed in. Is there a way, we can group the result by sprint or display the sprint name as a column?

Suggest an answer