How to display epic link in subtask?

Nienke Vos April 5, 2022

Hi,

I want to display the epic link in subtasks. I saw an interesting topic about this, but I couldn't get it working. (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Display-Epic-Link-on-a-subtask/qaq-p/1470212)

What I wanted to do:

1. Creat new text field "Parent Epic Name" to Story and Sub-Task screens.
  2. For Story, Copy Epic Link from Epic Issue to Story's "Parent Epic Name" field.
  3. For Sub-task, Copy "Parent Epic Name" from Parent Issue to Sub-task's "Parent Epic Name" field.

What I did and didn't work:

1. create a new text field 'parent epic name' ) to Story and Sub-Task screens

2. add an automation for when an issue is edited, the issue field parent epic name will be copied from the parent issue, field epic link. --- I cannot choose the epic link field to get the copy (see print screen) automation parent epic.png

Could you help me out what goes wrong? Or is there another workaround to show the epic link in a subtask?

Thanks a lot!

Nienke

2 answers

0 votes
DSI August 2, 2022

Add a new rule for the epic task: copy the epic name to the field Parent Epic Name.
1. When creating an epic (or editing) epic name copied to the field Parent Epic Name.
2. When creating a task, it should copy the Parent Epic Name from the epic.

3. Creating a subtask should copy the Parent Epic Name from the parent task.

0 votes
ankit nangia April 5, 2022

Does the  Parent- child linking give you a solution?. You can link the child to the epic you want at subtask level.

Nienke Vos April 11, 2022

Hi! Do you have a screenshot how you think it should work? For me it didn't work, but maybe I did it the wrong way.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer