How to disable emoji in Jira description and comments?

George Spofford
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 3, 2019

The colon character is a fact of life in our tickets. We need to be able to prioritize the actual content over Jira interpreting our content.

19 answers

2 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Wendt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 19, 2020

This is kind of silly... We use Jira to report and work on software issues. It's annoying and frustrating when certain characters combos are translated into emoji.

JP Support Agent August 14, 2022

That suggestion doesn't work because the checkbox to disable auto completion has been disabled.
And it is checked for my account.
So I still have to live with emoji obnoxiously showing up while trying to add an important ticket in JIRA.

Oh the irony :
I was about the insert a suitable emoji but I notice that the Atlassian Community forum editor does not have emoji support.
Maybe I should file a seperate ticket to ask for that feature.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Answer accepted
Krisztian Kovacs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2019

Hi @George Spofford

have you come across this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-39164

While disabling emoticons is definitely possible in server, I haven't seen a way to do that in cloud. Hopefully someone will correct me.

George Spofford
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 3, 2019

Thank you. I'm concerned.

Like Martin Leitner likes this
George Spofford
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 30, 2021

Still no actual solution?

Like Martin Leitner likes this
James Jordan December 30, 2021

This seems to be a feature, not a bug; if you want to use any fancy characters for non-whimsy, you better print it out and mail it.

Like # people like this
Ryan Prater August 3, 2022
15 votes
Pat Boone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 20, 2020

I'm sick of JIRA interpreting my colon entries as emoticons.  I'm open to humor all day, but let me decide myself when I want to add a smiley.

How can this discussion be closed, if the problem is not resolved ?  Or, did I miss something ?

How can I disable that function in JIRA cloud ?

9 votes
Martin Mahoney
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 30, 2020

I am adding my voice to this problem. You can't even type a : itself. Most programs that use emojis only 'kick in' when you type something like :-) or whatever. A simple colon? This is a UI bug or a serious design flaw at best and should be addressed.

Further, like others have said, the colon is a part of English grammar and some people still do use grammar.

Seriously... I am asking nicely and without anger. My company uses many Atlassian products and we are obviously generally happy with them (otherwise we'd move to something else). Please fix this problem as it adds ZERO value and should cost very little to address.

I forgot to add, yes I can click to the next line and the emoji menu goes away preserving the actual colon character but it is still an annoying, useless distraction when typing at 30wpm whilst thinking and describing a technical comment

William Kimball
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 2, 2022

100% agreed.  I am also a very fast typist.  Don't slow me down to reach for my mouse for a random click to dismiss this infuriating smiley mechanic!  If I want a smiley, I know how to type one out.  I don't need help with them.

Like # people like this
9 votes
James Jordan March 23, 2020

Another example of some design person deciding that making Jira "cute" and "slick" is more important that it functioning for technical and business users.

I am tired of having my stack traces grin and wink at me.  I'm not 15, I'm trying to do my job.  Your company continues to infuriate its user base for some reason.  WE PAY YOU.

wkin2998 March 27, 2020

And like almost every big software company, they continue to pay almost zero attention to actual users despite constantly asking us to fill in those online "how would you rate Jira ?" auto-surveys.  

I answer every one, but nothing ever changes, because obviously those product designers (with 5 years experience if we are lucky and spending the rest of the day obsessed with their smartphones) know sooooooo much more than we mere "plebs" who have hundreds of thousands of years of software development experience between us....

It's Microsoft all over again....

Like # people like this
4 votes
JP Support Agent February 3, 2022

Those emoticons are utterly annoying and counterproductive.
Three years have passed and still no working solution.
If I was in control, I would have ditched JIRA a long time ago.

Instead of showing me another annoying popup like below, engineers should spend some time on stuff that matters.

-----
You're on your way!

You've just unlocked the Level 0 badge.
Like a comment or post to reach Level 1.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 3, 2022

@JP Support Agent hi! These are community badges you're getting notified about. I am happy to turn them off for you. They are not part of our products. 

Anyone else interested, you can disable them in your community notification settings. Just set "Badges I earn" to "Never"! 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Pat Boone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 3, 2022

@Monique vdB   how about the initial question, how to get rid of jira interpreting our text as emoticons?!

Like Alex Melnikov likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 3, 2022

@Pat Boone I work on the community and not on Jira so I don't have an answer for you off the top of my head. I will reach out to the Jira team though and see if I can get you a response!

Like # people like this
Zsombor Miszlai October 13, 2023

*proceeds not getting a response. These emojis are still cancerous.

4 votes
Bara Muse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 12, 2022

I so vouch for this as well, it's been discussed for YEARS now, come on, disable this freaking stupid ":" shortcut what a waste of time !

3 votes
Nancy Mooney December 9, 2021

SUPER hate the text turning into emojis. Trying to type 8-Dec-2021 and it becomes <smileyfacewithsunglasses> +ec-2021. RIDICULOUS!

3 votes
tmartin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 4, 2021

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates the juvenile emojis.  Best solution I have found is to campaign for cancelling our contract and going with an an actual professional software.

2 votes
Jason Lacoste
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 21, 2022

I'd like to take a different approach. What we need is moar emoji in Jira. In order to address this issue, please remove all words from Jira, so we can communicate our business requirements and everything SDLC exclusively in emoticon format. If I cant file a bug report with an eggplant emoji, why do we even pay for this product?

2 votes
KD Bauer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 30, 2021

Making matters worse, even formatting things as code does not help.

jira-smiley-issue.png

We need to be able to specify basic mathematic relationships without parts suddenly becoming smileys. In this case, Jira didn't like the ( i ) as an index.

Supporting smileys is fine, but that should be left to unicode characters, that can be inserted through a dropdown menu or something. It should no interfere with regular technical text.

2 votes
Tom Fahlberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 27, 2020

{noformat}

Select count(*) from customers;

{noformat}

(Without it)

Select count(*) from customers;

Tom Fahlberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 27, 2020

In our version, "(*)" becomes an emoji.

Like Ole Bang likes this
James Jordan October 27, 2020

That certainly works, and there have long been character combinations such as (/) and (x) that produce icons that can be useful for highlighting items in a table, etc.  The problem here is that Atlassian keeps adding new ones, requiring users to noformat things that previously didn't require that.  It makes using the product more difficult and is unfriendly to technical users.  A similar complaint is that we can't disable relative timestamps in the cloud version, just in server.  If you need the precision, you should be able to have the precision.  It seems like this software is becoming more and more targeted to some kind of market that doesn't involve engineering.

Like Joe Wendt likes this
VVor June 27, 2022

We gave a try to {noformat} tag while putting big texts into Description field.

But after a week we decided not to use it at all.

Because:

• if lines are long - you get a horizontal scroll bar;
  • to read this long lines you must enter edit mode (scroll bar appear only in Edit mode)
  • the whole text become less readable with dark-gray background
VVor June 27, 2022

one can use this trick from https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-39164

Dalectric added a comment - 31/Aug/2016 5:07 PM

For info, I modify
\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\system-renderercomponentfactories-plugin.xml
Locate the
<renderer-component-factory key="emoticonrenderer"
tag and comment out the whole tag (should be 8 lines of code) with <!-- -->

1 vote
Zsombor Miszlai October 13, 2023

Why is this solved? It is still auto-converting stuff and it is still not possible to turn this faulty design off.

1 vote
Andrew Simpson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 14, 2022

When will this be fixed? 

With requirements for financial applications there are a lot of percentage signs in quotes as field labels e.g. ROA (%).  This gets converted to a dizzy face!  I have to keep remembering to type (, ), cursor left, %, cursor right in order to type (%)

1 vote
Xiaojie Wang
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 11, 2022

Despite a bug fix is on the way, my temporary work around is change the order of typing.

e.g.  instead of triggering emoj by typing ':P' in order, type 'P' first then move cursor back by one character then type ':'

1 vote
JP Support Agent February 3, 2022

Almost got my answerer badge!
I wish I could do something to get rid of those emoji's though...
----

You're only one answer away!

Congrats on submitting your first answer, which is a huge help to your fellow community members. Answer one more to unlock the answerer badge!
1 vote
Matthieu PETITGAS
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 15, 2021

After two years, comments adds up, but nothing seems to change.

When can we expect this functionnality ?!

1 vote
Richard Bryson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 15, 2021

As a workaround I write what I need in textedit and copy and paste. This happens in Slack too. Really annoying. Should have at least a dropdown where you can select the original characters you wrote, or better still the dropdown is for the selection of the emoji so defaulting to the characters not the emoji.

Nick Iliev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 5, 2024

Great, thanks. This works.
But obviously it will be much better if this issue gets fixed, i.e. it becomes configurable  

Suggest an answer