It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to disable emoji in Jira description and comments?

The colon character is a fact of life in our tickets. We need to be able to prioritize the actual content over Jira interpreting our content.

5 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @George_Spofford

have you come across this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-39164

While disabling emoticons is definitely possible in server, I haven't seen a way to do that in cloud. Hopefully someone will correct me.

Thank you. I'm concerned.

2 votes
Answer accepted

This is kind of silly... We use Jira to report and work on software issues. It's annoying and frustrating when certain characters combos are translated into emoji.

I'm sick of JIRA interpreting my colon entries as emoticons.  I'm open to humor all day, but let me decide myself when I want to add a smiley.

How can this discussion be closed, if the problem is not resolved ?  Or, did I miss something ?

How can I disable that function in JIRA cloud ?

Another example of some design person deciding that making Jira "cute" and "slick" is more important that it functioning for technical and business users.

I am tired of having my stack traces grin and wink at me.  I'm not 15, I'm trying to do my job.  Your company continues to infuriate its user base for some reason.  WE PAY YOU.

And like almost every big software company, they continue to pay almost zero attention to actual users despite constantly asking us to fill in those online "how would you rate Jira ?" auto-surveys.  

I answer every one, but nothing ever changes, because obviously those product designers (with 5 years experience if we are lucky and spending the rest of the day obsessed with their smartphones) know sooooooo much more than we mere "plebs" who have hundreds of thousands of years of software development experience between us....

It's Microsoft all over again....

I am adding my voice to this problem. You can't even type a : itself. Most programs that use emojis only 'kick in' when you type something like :-) or whatever. A simple colon? This is a UI bug or a serious design flaw at best and should be addressed.

Further, like others have said, the colon is a part of English grammar and some people still do use grammar.

Seriously... I am asking nicely and without anger. My company uses many Atlassian products and we are obviously generally happy with them (otherwise we'd move to something else). Please fix this problem as it adds ZERO value and should cost very little to address.

I forgot to add, yes I can click to the next line and the emoji menu goes away preserving the actual colon character but it is still an annoying, useless distraction when typing at 30wpm whilst thinking and describing a technical comment

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you