It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to disable detection of browser language?

I want JIRA to show all its content in English, no matter which language my browser uses.

I have changed default language to English, my profile's language in English, but when I open JIRA with my browser, I see all content in the language of my browser.

No doubt JIRA is a very clever program, but why pretend it is much more clever than it actually is?

So, how do I force JIRA to show all its content in default language (and only in default language)?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Andrey,

It's not possible to disable the translation on Jira, because this functionality is only on the browser and not on Jira.
If you already set the default language on System > General configuration and also set your profile language to English, if Jira is being translated is due to the browser.

It's possible to disable the translation directly on your browser, so this issue will not happen anymore. 

Regards,
Angélica

Hi Angélica,

Thank you for the answer.

With all respect, would you please allow me to raise an objection.

>>> because this functionality is only on the browser and not on Jira.

Browser itself doesn't produce any content. It is not capable to translate anything by itself. It is JIRA who sends the content in response to the browser's request.

And yes, it is the browser who says "I would like to receive content in <some_language> if possible". It is the browser's "Accept-Language" header responsible for that behavior.

I can download a Chrome extension which will suppress this header and therefore force JIRA website give me the content in the language I prefer by default (English).

Also, I can delete all supported languages but English in my JIRA cloud installation.

But why on green Earth would I do all the nonsense mentioned above? Why not to provide the possibility to say JIRA "English, *******, do you speak it???"

The product Atlassian has acquired recently, Trello, does provide such a possibility.

Why JIRA wouldn't then?

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for the details and I apologize for the confusion.
I've tested using Google Chrome in English and my Jira in Portuguese, but Chrome didn't translate Jira.
So, for us to test the same behaviour, can you please tell us what browser are you using? What is the browser version?
We need this details to check if it's happening with a specific browser.
Also, please send us the steps to reproduce and what screens are being translated.

Regards,
Angélica

We have the same problem in our company. Jira Cloud mixes German and English language, even though I configured Jira to use English only. The problem persists, no matter which browser I use (tried Firefox, Chrome, IE). Very annoying and unacceptable for an enterprise level product.

Like # people like this

Same problem here. Jira set in English, but all content in Spanish (Chrome 72)

Hi @AlL

I had the same issue but resolved by changing the config of order languages. So you can check and config by this screenshot.

image.png

Like # people like this

Thank you, you just solved my problem, any idea how to deploy this to everyone ?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

260 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you