How to differentiate internal users from external users in jira?

I want to enable a way to visually distinguish between interal users and external users on Jira.

There are two ways to define an internal users:

• have an email address from one of the internal domains (like *.example.com *.acme.com)
  • be part of a specific jira groups

As long is there a way to this, any of the two above options are ok.

Note: One idea would be to have different avatars for internal users, I've seen this as a common practice on some companies.

1 answer

If you are using an LDAP for your internal staff, you could pick a different attribute for Display Name (or add a new attribut that looks exactly how you want it, eg. Fred Smith [Citrix]).

It's a shame it doesn't let you add a suffix like this site does.

If you're not using LDAP, as a really nasty hack you might be able to periodically run an update statement directly on the Jira backend that ensures all users with email addresses ending in *.whatever.com have the applicable company suffix appended to their display name.

Thanks Sam, still this is not possible as in most corporate environments modifying LDAP schema is almost impossible. Even editing a single entry requies a lot of time.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Service Desk

Wy are we still using email for Service Desk workflows?

...attest to the experience of an urgent approval that gets lost in the boss’s inbox and requires that special “Please Approve” email or text message. In an age where we have distributed teams...

90 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you