How to delete user avatar / remove with script runner

Manuel May 13, 2019

Hi,

Is there a way to delete or change the user avatar by using script runner?

With the EU GDPR / EU DSVGO we must remove personal user data after a employee left the company.

Some users upload own pictures into JIRA and I need to remove or change it to a default avatar when a user is set to inactive by LDAP.

As far as I know the avatar is saved as base64 in the database. But we don't want to change something direct in the database.

I should get the users with a change of this example script: https://www.adaptavist.com/doco/display/SFJ/Automatically+deactivate+inactive+JIRA+users

I found a script (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Adaptavist-questions/uploading-a-user-avatar-with-scriptrunner/qaq-p/831020) that is doing some avatar upload but isn't working as expected.

Has anybody created a script that is working?

Best Regards

Manuel

3 answers

0 votes
Patrick January 6, 2020
import com.atlassian.jira.avatar.Avatar
import com.atlassian.jira.avatar.AvatarManager
import com.atlassian.jira.avatar.AvatarService
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.user.search.UserSearchParams
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.user.search.UserSearchService

AvatarService avatarService = ComponentAccessor.getAvatarService()
UserSearchService userSearchService = ComponentAccessor.getUserSearchService()
AvatarManager avatarManager = ComponentAccessor.getAvatarManager()
//Query to get inactive Users
UserSearchParams userSearchParams = (new UserSearchParams.Builder()).allowEmptyQuery(true).includeActive(false).includeInactive(true).maxResults(10000).build()
for (ApplicationUser appUser : userSearchService.findUsers("", userSearchParams)) {
    /*  This will reset the Avatar, but we need to DELETE own Avatars on the Filesystem too.
        avatarService.setCustomUserAvatar(appUser,appUser,0)
     */
    if (avatarService.hasCustomUserAvatar(appUser, appUser)) {
        def a = avatarManager.getCustomAvatarsForOwner(Avatar.Type.USER, appUser.getKey())
        a.each { b ->
            avatarManager.delete(b.getId(), true)
            log.warn("Deleted Avatar " + b.id + " " + b.fileName + " for " + appUser.displayName)
        }
    }
}
Simon October 1, 2020

Hi @Patrick,

can you please put the code online again?

0 votes
Patrick December 23, 2019

Hi,

its not hard. Please note that "setCustomerAvatar" is not enough here, since you have to delete them to fulfill the GDPR Requirments.

Basically you use the "userSearcherService" to get all inactive users, loop over them and use AvatarManager to delete the CustomAvatars.

We've configured this as a Service so it runs every month. If you still need help - i can share you my code as soon as im back in the office.

Manuel January 6, 2020

Hi Patrick,

Sounds good. It would be nice if you can provide me the code. 

Best Regards

Manuel

Patrick January 6, 2020
Like Manuel likes this
Manuel January 6, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Morten Stensgaard November 9, 2022

@Patrick - Do you still have this code?

I have 2.5 GB of avatars, that I need to delete :-)

Thanks

Morten

Patrick December 7, 2022

@Morten Stensgaard 

Yes, see above

0 votes
fjodors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2019

Hello

Have you tried setCustomUserAvatar method?

From JIRA API https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/7.6.1/com/atlassian/jira/avatar/AvatarService.html it sets a custom avatar for a given user.
setCustomUserAvatar(ApplicationUser remoteUser, ApplicationUser user, Long avatarId)

Manuel May 13, 2019

Oh, great. I will give a try.

Suggest an answer