How to delete a sub-task in JIRA

Jennifer Hubley May 15, 2018

Hello,

I need to delete sub-tasks in JIRA. I found several threads of people simply answering "don't do it" but that's not what I'm asking - so please don't reply explaining to me the pro's and con's or why people shouldn't delete in JIRA - that part isn't a discussion I'm looking to have, I'm simply looking for instructions on how to delete a sub-task. I understand board and admin permissions are required, but after that, cannot find a thread that actually gives an answer - mostly just people arguing about why one should or shouldn't delete. 

Thanks in advance,
Jen 

2 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2018

Hello,

There is no difference between deleting a subtask and a task. You need the Delete Issues permission in the project permission scheme. That is all. Then you open a subtask in the detail issue view and choose More->Delete

Jennifer Hubley May 15, 2018

Great thank you! I will review the settings and make sure I have the "Delete Issues" permission set up (I must not based on what I'm seeing). Thanks!

Like Siddharth Saraf likes this
Sébastien DERRICO December 18, 2018

Thanks Alexey!

Nilam Shah July 20, 2023

I am new to Jira Cloud.  What is considered the Detail Issue View? I am also looking to delete a few subtasks are the original postee . 

10 votes
Joe Lemmer October 13, 2018

I found that despite the fact that I created the project, and could use the project perfectly well in other respects, I was not automatically added as a user of the project (in Project Settings -> People).

I needed to add myself as a user of the project (and as an Administrator) before the option to delete appeared.

Tyler Ackelbein April 10, 2019

This is what finally helped show it for me! Thanks!

DROR Developer July 16, 2019

Thanks Joe

skrup June 23, 2020

Thanks Joe!

Jackson Bervian August 6, 2020

Thanks Joe, solved my problem

Jojin Mp February 24, 2023

Thanks Joe!

Suggest an answer