How to customize an event based on project role?

Annong Phann December 18, 2015

When a customer creates a JIRA issue, I like to send out a notification to a set of specific project roles.

At this time, the "Issue Created" sends notification to a group of people for all issues whether internal or customer roles. 

Similar to workflow post-function - If Customer, set issue security to Customer Access. I like to have a workflow post-function - If customer, fire Custom Event. - How do I custom the "If Customer" part? 

I created a Custom Event "Customer Created Issue" using the "Issue Created" template, but how do I edit the event template to check for the customer role?

Is it possible to do "If Customer, fire notification to Managers"?

I also tried using workflow post-function  - Comment issue from a Groovy Expression. But the check box says "Send "Issue Commented" notification " I wish to send my custom notification

Any ideas/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2015

First, I think you need to have another look at what events are.  They are mostly fired by issue changes, but the important thing you need to understand is that there is only one event fired.  It's not a case of firing notifications to people, events are fired by changes.  The events are used by the notification system to trigger emails, but that's totally separate from the events.

>Is it possible to do "If Customer, fire notification to Managers"?

No, because it's "fire event".  Notifications come later.

You could get part way there by selecting the manager as a user-picker and including that in the notification scheme.  Or possibly use a customer select list instead.

There's another approache to doing what you want to do; Subvert the existing system - create post-functions that fire additional events.  So, for example, the current "create issue" event would be followed by "my create issue custom event".  You can then use the notification scheme to send emails to internal people on the "create issue", and to external people on the "my create issue custom event"
If you're going to do that, your extra event-send code could have "if X then don't send extra notification" type code at the top of it.

Suggest an answer