How to create such a hierarchy in Structure?

Alexandr Kirillov September 12, 2018

Hello!
In our new project, we decided to use Epic how a container for collect issues by the link. Epic is a big module of a system. Now our hierarchy looks like:

Jira-hierarchy.png

M – Epic
A – Story
BE-A, BE-B – Tasks

Story and Tasks have an epic link. This is very helpful in working with the backlog.
Tasks have a "block" link. This allows us to use the "Extend transformation".
But this leads to the appearance of duplicates.

What's wrong? How can I save Epic link and remove duplicates?
Help me, please! I can't think about it anymore. I want to sleep :)

PS: Structure v 4.0.0

1 answer

1 vote
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2018

Hi Alexandr,

There is a couple of ways of dealing with this.

One is actually insert stories instead of Epics, then group by Epic and extend by link. And when grouping by fix version, make sure to check "Consider other groups" as Epics are groups in such scenario. No need to extend by Epic link in this case, other generators can stay the same.

Alternative is S-JQL filtering. The filter would be not (child of [issuetype="Epic"] and [issuetype = "Task"]) - this will remove only tasks that are direct children of Epics. 

You can also use JQL filter  issuetype!=Task and restrict it to the 3rd level of Structure, but you'd have to adjust level if more groups are added.

Please, let me know if my suggestions work for you and if any explanations are required. If you wish we can arrange a demo session, to show more ways to manipulate generators. Just write to support@almworks.com if you want to do that.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

@Egor Tasa [ALM Works], thank you for the fast answer!

If I understand you correctly, all the ways assume that I'm hide all Tasks from level under Epics.

Sorry, but I didn't specify one point. Not every Task must be under the Stories.
For example, Task BE-C can under Epic M:

• BE-C has epic link to Epic M
  • BE-C hasn't links to any Stories

The correct example of the hierarchy in the question was to look like this:

M1
– BE-A
– BE-C
– A
– – BE-A
M2
– BE-D

I want hide BE-A under Epic M1, but show under Story A.

Sorry for my English. I hope you understand, what I need)

@Egor Tasa [ALM Works], thank you for the fast answer!

If I understand you correctly, all the ways assume that I'm hide all Tasks from level under Epics.

Sorry, but I didn't specify one point. Not every Task must be under the Stories.
For example, Task BE-C can under Epic M:

• BE-C has epic link to Epic M
  • BE-C hasn't links to any Stories

The correct example of the hierarchy in the question was to look like this:

M1
– BE-A
– BE-C
– A
– – BE-A
M2
– BE-D

I want hide BE-A under Epic M1, but show under Story A.

Sorry for my English. I hope you understand, what I need)

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2018

Hi Alexandr,

If the only difference between BE-A and BE-C is that BE-A links to Story A, then there is still a way to realize what you need. For that you would have to Insert stories and tasks, then extend by linked issues, then filter to Remove Inserter/Extender duplicates, this will remove BE-A from the root. Then, group by Epic. This should create a hierarchy you describe.

Please, let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
Egor

Suggest an answer