How to create sub tasks automatically on parent issue creation?

Hello, my requirement is that I want to create sub tasks automatically and assign automatically to the selected users in multi user selection. So how can I achieve this. Actually my requirement is I want to divide the expenditure amount among users. So I took the "Paid Amount" text field and "Shared Among" multi user selection field. So suppose 600 is entered  in  "Paid Amount" so creating on parent issue for expenditure of 600 and 3 sub tasks for collecting 200 from 3 respective users.

So, how can I achieve this. Thank you in advance 

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

There are a few add-ons that will provide you with a "create sub-task on issue create" function, but it sounds to me like you probably need one of the more flexible ones as you have some logic to do - not just a fixed "create X subtask(s)".  I'd use the script-runner to do this.

Andreas Knecht Community Champion Nov 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to automatically create sub-tasks with Automation for JIRA!

You can easily create sub-tasks with our 'create sub-tasks' action:

create-sub-tasks.png

For a full list of available conditions and actions see: http://codebarrel.io/available-rule-components/

We also have a number of conditions you could use to check the value of the paid amount field.

Hi,

have you tried to use Issue Templates? There is option to create subtask on create and on selected trasition:

https://intenso.atlassian.net/wiki/display/IT/Create+template's+subtask

I hope I've helped you.

Best Regards

How to create multiple issues - advanced example shows an example that will create multiple issues dependent on the selections for a multiple selection field including support to prevent duplicate issue creation. This uses the Create Issue post function from Create on Transition for JIRA.

Hello Bob,

In the Create Subtask post function the option "Entry parent" is by default %parent_key%, I have two post functions to create a couple subtasks using the Create multiple issues" option but in two different parents.

My question is, can I use a different variable in the "Entry parent" field to indicate the parent where the subtasks will be created in each postfunction?

Please let me know if this make sense for you, your help will be very appreciated. 

Yes, you can specify a specific issue key or any variable that represents an issue key that is valid to be the parent of the subtask. For instance, it could be the result variable from a JQL query.

Hi, 

You can use this add-on that I created for this. Automates creation of common issues and sub tasks. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/vendors/1214232/obi-wan-soft-llc

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

209 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you