How to create simple templates for iterative Jira issues

Hi all,

every day we have a lot of iterative issues, eg paper jam on a printer or blocked session in citrix. We are looking for a possibility to create simple templates for such issues, where most general informations are pre-recorded, so that we can choose the respective template from a list and only have to fill in additional user information or specifications. How can we do this?

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Dieter Community Champion Nov 03, 2011

Create issue types like 'Paper jam' or 'Blocked session Citrix', and so on
Create one field configuration for each issue type in a project specific field configuration scheme.

For each issue type you can initialize the field description (or summary) in the Create issue screen with code like the one below. You just have to put this code in the Description of the system field description/summary

<script language="JavaScript">

AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
if ( document.getElementById("description").value == "" )
document.getElementById("description").value = "Line1\n\Line2\n...";

}
</script>

}

That way you easily prefill the Create screen.

You can even use Wiki-Synatax if you have enabled the Wiki-Renderer in the field configuration.

this sounds like what I'm after but I'm not clear on the steps. In the past I had a shortcut in Chrome that autofilled my newly created ticket with a template for filling in, this was a huge time saver and meant that the tickets all had the same layout.

I tried your suggestion.. didn't work

Edit Field Layout Item - JIRA 2017-01-16 20-56-44.pngCreate issue - JIRA 2017-01-16 20-58-22.png

Same here. It's not the Description field that gets filled in, but a space directly below it. Any help on this one will be appreciated.

Hello,

Same behaviour as Bartosz using the Cloud version.

Any of you have managed to do the prefill Create Screen settings?

Still not supported in the cloud sad

We are working on it at this moment smile Issue Templates will see Cloud in the next few weeks. 

Do we have Issue Templates in Jira cloud yet? :)

Hi, Yes - version for Cloud is available :) 

@Krzysztof Skoropada [InTENSO] Is there support for templating multiple tasks+subtasks from the epic level? I have searched your documentation for JIRA cloud but cannot find the answer.

Hi Kenny, 

You are right. On the Cloud version this feature is no available, however, we have started working on this. We will keep you posted! 

Our current guidance to our project teams is to create a version called "Templates" and fill it with stories for cloning. I did not find any existing capabilities or plug-ins in the catalog that would otherwise suffice.

If you can get fancy, you might also build Excel macros for importing pre-defined issues.

This also appears to be related to this feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7731

There's a plugin that allows you to export issues using a word template. It's simple and easy! all you have to do is to create your own templates using keywords.

Check more information here: Xporter for JIRA

Cheers,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,239 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot