How to create remote login from external website?

lfilim April 11, 2023

Hi All,

I have a standalone JIRA server, and I want to create a login page on external website that would allow user a remote login to JIRA Server.

When user will use his username and password , I would login the user in background, and then redirect user to JIRA server url.

How can I get it done?

Best Regards,

Lukas

1 answer

0 votes
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Hi @lfilim 

I would have implemented SSO in that case, having the user login in one tool will log him in all the tools, so when reaching JIRA they will already be log-in.

Regards

lfilim April 11, 2023

Hi Florian,

I am looking for simple way, and implementing SSO might be big task here?

What I was thinking maybe there is an api that would allow a user to login and create a cookie in code behins and then simply redirect user to jira server?

Best Regards,

Lukas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

For a simple login, no, that's what the login function in Jira does already and so there's no point in replacing that.

You don't have to do "full" SSO if you go the way @Florian Bonniec - Okta for example lets me log in there, then visit Jira without having to log in (but we, for some unknown reason, have not enabled SSO - you have to repeat the login for other Okta enabled systems, or go in via Okta's home page (which is more clicks than just going straight to the application)

Suggest an answer