How to create recurring tasks in JIRA

Won Je Choi November 9, 2017

For example, I would like to get a monthly task to review a list of servers for updates.

Can any one tell me how would be possible in jira plugin development ?

11 answers

22 votes
Stoyan Stoitsev December 15, 2020

you can use the project automations feature for this

Eva van Kempen January 26, 2021

Do you have an example of such an automated rule? Which steps to set in the automation flow? 

Stoyan Stoitsev January 27, 2021

Project settings > Apps > Project Automation > Create Rule

The select a Scheduled trigger and from there on I think it is rather clear what to do ;)

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 16.56.37.png

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 16.58.29.png

Like # people like this
John Tolle April 23, 2021

Thanks, @Stoyan Stoitsev!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  For those who want to setup tasks that are always done annually, you can use the Advanced CRON expression rather than Fixed rate scheduled (based on number of days).  For example:

0 0 12 1 NOV ? = November 1st of any day of the week (?) at exactly 12:00:00 UTC.

Using a Fixed rate schedule of 30 days is nice, but doesn't work so well if you want to generate an issue on the first day of the month, etc. (and it's not the first day of the month when you're creating the automation). Another CROM expression that would handle it for you:

0 0 12 1 * ? = The first day of every month at 12:00:00 UTC

Or maybe you only want it to get generated on the first weekday of the month so it doesn't land on weekends (yes, the added "W" is all it takes):

0 0 12 1W * ? = The first day of every month at 12:00:00 UTC

Here's all the CRON goodies:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/construct-cron-expressions-for-a-filter-subscription/

Like # people like this
Ross Summers June 28, 2021

This is great. But we shouldn't have to "code" something in that should be a default for EVERY pm system ever.

Like # people like this
John Tolle June 29, 2021

@Ross Summers I totally agree.  CRON expressions are far from elegant, but at least they do provide a lot of flexibility.  That said, they're meant for Linux engineers, and all of this should be available in GUI form instead.

Like Ross Summers likes this
Peter Chodakowski June 29, 2021

You don't need to use a cron expression though. You can use the "Basic" option rather than advanced on the Scheduled Trigger action.

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.46.19.png

Like # people like this
John Tolle June 30, 2021

@Peter Chodakowski you are correct that there are some recurring configurations that can be handled using the GUI (Basic).  It even has a "Years" option to do something annually... except there is no way to tell it what month/date to start doing it.  You can only start it today and it will kick off a year from today.

@Metod Kana I didn't need to add any add-on, as far as I can tell.  I just go to Project -> Settings -> Automation and it's there.  I am on the cloud instance, but I assume you are, too.

Like Thomas Marius Gander likes this
Metod Kana July 2, 2021

don't worry... you'll get a notification that you've reached your automation limit. that was at least the case for us.

Bruno Felício July 6, 2021

Indeed it works, but is it also possible to create tasks with subtasks?

Marco Massarotto October 11, 2021

Hi @Metod Kana,

I've run into the same problem in JIRA Standard: << you've reached your automation limit >>. There's no limit in JIRA Advanced.

Anyway, I found that the above said limitation apply just if you set  a multi-project rule. It means: you define the rule just once, and select to apply it to more than one project.

There is no limit for mono-project rules (1 rule - 1 project). So, you can copy-paste the same rule to all the Project you need. I know it is not ideal, but at least it works.  

Matt Sudol February 3, 2022

omg, yet another upgrade to pro to get a simple solution that most other project management tools have by default..    so done with Atlassian products. 

Like # people like this
Stephan Grubbe Sølby April 5, 2022

The limit is only imposed on "general rules". If you implement them in each project, there is no limit.

AFAIK, the limit is removed from general rules if you subscribe to Premium.

That said, I agree this should be a standard feature. I live with it because Jira offers so much flexibility that I choose to live with the obvious bugs and missing features (and there are quite a few of those ;-)

nilo soto September 28, 2022

Is this cloud only or is this available in Data Center I don't see an option for scheduled or CRON in automation

John Tolle September 28, 2022

I can only say that we exclusively use Cloud and it is present there.  I do not know if it is (or should be) available in Data Center

Somehow, Data Center without CRON just seems wrong to me, so hopefully it's there and you just have to enable it in your config or something.  Unfortunately, I can't help you with that since, again, we're a cloud-only shop here, and I do not have any experience with the offline versions of Atlassian's products.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2022

It uses Automation, which is installed on Cloud automatically, but you will have to add the full app to Data Center (not the "light"/free version)

Like nilo soto likes this
nilo soto September 28, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- that was it thanks!

Alvaro Landin September 19, 2023

Hi,

And how would be the case if you want also to locate those stories in a existing epic?

Thanks!

12 votes
Gertjan Fober February 25, 2020

OMG, feature request please! (also for jira cloud)

11 votes
Peter Chodakowski April 30, 2020

I know it's an old question, but came across it searching for the same answer.  Here's what I found: It's simple.  Create an automation rule to fire at the desired period and have the rule create the issue(s) you need.

RJAS July 11, 2020

I second this, with the new automation features I was able to have the same task fire off each day

Benjamin Peikes October 18, 2023

That works, but is not ideal because it means giving access to automation to all users. Ideally, you'd be able to simply mark an issue as recurring, and it would generate a new issue and assign it. You should be able to specify how far in advance the issues are created.

4 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

Don't use SAL's scheduler - it's in the process of being deprecated. There's now a new scheduler at https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/atlassian-scheduler which replaces SAL's scheduler. There's an example of how to use it at https://bitbucket.org/cfuller/atlassian-scheduler-jira-example

4 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Hello, 

Yes it is possible to create recurring tasks in Jira. You can find a tutorial in this page:

https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/atlassian-platform-common-components/shared-access-layer/scheduling-events-via-sal-tutorial

awesome! thank you!

Like Sandy_Dahiya likes this
meha.ved October 8, 2020

This will require people to learn coding only to create recurring task. Atlassian can do better

Like # people like this
Tom Vogt April 30, 2021

While I agree that this should be a default feature, that people need to code is not exactly a crazy requirement for a tool that is mostly used by software development teams. :-)

John Tolle May 3, 2021

While coding is great for some, it's not necessary in this case.  Check out the answer from @Stoyan Stoitsev below.  In short, Project Automations will set you free, no coding required!

3 votes
Benjamin Peikes September 3, 2021

I agree, this is a bit of a joke. You should be able to simply set a "recurring" field in the ticket, and new ones should be automatically created each day based on the field.

Using automation rules seems a bit crazy.

1 vote
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 11, 2022

Hello!

If you`re ok with Jira plug-ins try out the Recurring Checklists and Report, developed by my team. This app allows to create, automate and control Jira issues with a checklists in one place.

Learn more how to manage recurring tasks or read our use case about the security checklist 

1 vote
Tom Jones [Appsvio]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 25, 2021

Hi, 

Writing recurring tasks app from scratch might be a nightmare. There are many factors you need to consider:

• Different type of triggers (manual, CRON, workflow)
  • Proper implementation of task execution
  • Performance
  • User interface (if required)
  • Specific features like dynamic due date

In most cases, ready-to-use apps will be a better solution. Most of them are paid but you get a good product with support in return. 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

I use a cron script that pokes things in over the REST API, but for something a bit less reliant on a bit of command line stuff, yes, you can do it.

There are several add-ons in the marketplace that can do it with a friendlier UI from within Jira, and the generalised tools like Automation and ScriptRunner enable you create regular processes.

You can, of course, write your own too.  Have a look at https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/atlassian-platform-common-components/shared-access-layer/scheduling-events-via-sal-tutorial if you want to do it yourself.

Thank you for the information, trying to avoid using add-ons...using a cron script over the REST API works too?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2017
0 votes
Shubham Bhaskar January 21, 2022

After you have selected scheduled trigger and set up the frequency of the ticket (i.e. time and date) and selected new action ; Create an issue and ENSURE you have selected your project manually from the drop down list (instead of going ahead with the default one), select issue type as task. Then save and run it . This way you can create an automated recurring ticket. 

0 votes
Mateusz Daleki [Codedoers] January 14, 2019
Brendan Johnson June 4, 2020

Why would I pay for such a basic function?  Waste of money.

Like # people like this
Mateusz Daleki [Codedoers] June 6, 2020

Hi,

Our customers do not pay for such basic features but rather for something that help them achieve their goals and work better (including support).

Cheers,
Product Owner of Repeating Issues app.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer