• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create recurring tasks in JIRA

For example, I would like to get a monthly task to review a list of servers for updates.

Can any one tell me how would be possible in jira plugin development ?

8 answers

New to Jira. Absolutely STUNNED this is not default behaviour. This is an unfinished product. Less than minimum, and not viable without this.

Welcome to Atlassian Products...

Like # people like this

Atlassian is making money for the plugin devs, shhh

In their defense, plugins can be developed WAY faster than Atlassian can work. For example, Microsoft generally doesn't follow this development track and if a feature isn't available you may wait YEARS for functionality. 

OMG, feature request please! (also for jira cloud)

I know it's an old question, but came across it searching for the same answer.  Here's what I found: It's simple.  Create an automation rule to fire at the desired period and have the rule create the issue(s) you need.

I second this, with the new automation features I was able to have the same task fire off each day

4 votes

Hello, 

Yes it is possible to create recurring tasks in Jira. You can find a tutorial in this page:

https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/atlassian-platform-common-components/shared-access-layer/scheduling-events-via-sal-tutorial

awesome! thank you!

Like Sandy_Dahiya likes this
meha_ved I'm New Here Oct 08, 2020

This will require people to learn coding only to crate recurring task. Atlassian can do better

Like # people like this
2 votes
Daniel Wester Community Leader Nov 21, 2017

Don't use SAL's scheduler - it's in the process of being deprecated. There's now a new scheduler at https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/atlassian-scheduler which replaces SAL's scheduler. There's an example of how to use it at https://bitbucket.org/cfuller/atlassian-scheduler-jira-example

1 vote

I use a cron script that pokes things in over the REST API, but for something a bit less reliant on a bit of command line stuff, yes, you can do it.

There are several add-ons in the marketplace that can do it with a friendlier UI from within Jira, and the generalised tools like Automation and ScriptRunner enable you create regular processes.

You can, of course, write your own too.  Have a look at https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/atlassian-platform-common-components/shared-access-layer/scheduling-events-via-sal-tutorial if you want to do it yourself.

Thank you for the information, trying to avoid using add-ons...using a cron script over the REST API works too?

you can use the project automations feature for this

Do you have an example of such an automated rule? Which steps to set in the automation flow? 

Project settings > Apps > Project Automation > Create Rule

The select a Scheduled trigger and from there on I think it is rather clear what to do ;)

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 16.56.37.png

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 16.58.29.png

Like Eva van Kempen likes this

Why would I pay for such a basic function?  Waste of money.

Like # people like this

Hi,

Our customers do not pay for such basic features but rather for something that help them achieve their goals and work better (including support).

Cheers,
Product Owner of Repeating Issues app.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you