How to create project via jira api

kyco4ektopta June 9, 2017

Hi! I've a problem with creating jira project via REST API.

I have a jira version 6.3.8

I tried to use this instruction - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/creating-a-project-via-rest-based-on-jira-default-schemes-744325852.html

but i have this error - 405 Method not Allowed

How can i do this?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2017

Before JIRA 6.2, newly created projects use the Default Issue Type Scheme. After JIRA 6.2 all new projects are created with a new Issue Type Scheme, Workflow and Screen Scheme. This requires a lot of task as the users have to change the assigned schemes and then delete the new ones. In order to avoid creating new issue type schemes, "JIRA Classic" or "Project Management" project type must be selected so that the Default Issue Type would then be used. 

• $JIRAURL/rest/project-templates/1.0/templates as the Request URL
  • include the arguments below:
    • projectTemplateWebItemKey : com.atlassian.jira-legacy-project-templates:jira-blank-item
    • projectTemplateModuleKey : com.atlassian.jira-legacy-project-templates:jira-blank-item
    • name : project_name
    • key : PROJECTKEY
    • lead : project_lead
    • keyEdited: false

An example of working cURL command on JIRA 6.4.14:

curl -D- -u admin:sphere -X POST -H "X-Atlassian-Token: nocheck" -H "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded" "http://localhost:61021/jira6414/rest/project-templates/1.0/templates?projectTemplateWebItemKey=com.atlassian.jira-legacy-project-templates%3Ajira-blank-item&projectTemplateModuleKey=com.atlassian.jira-legacy-project-templates%3Ajira-blank-item&name=SECOND+Create+from+REST+API&key=CFRAPI&lead=admin&keyEdited=false"

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

kyco4ektopta June 9, 2017

Oh, d*mn. I'm so stupid :)

Thank you!

William JUTEAU May 25, 2018

Hello,

That's awesome Jeremy ! thanks

Do you know if it's possible to avoid using the default schemes when we use your method ?

I have some  already existing schemes in my 6.4.13 instance and would like to apply them directly of course

Thanks for your help

Rgds,

Will

Suggest an answer