How to create parent / child relationship between Epic > Feature > Story

Nick Holdstock December 8, 2020

Hi there

I have created my required issue types (Initiative > Epic > Feature > Story > Task) and updated the hierarchy level for advanced roadmaps to include Initiative.

The problem I am facing is that the Feature issue type does not allow me to create a parent / child relationship between Feature and Story. 

I have also tried to do this via the Advanced Roadmap Hierarchy Configuration but this does not allow me to edit below Epic to include Feature etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 answers

1 vote
Daniel Joseph McLean April 20, 2021

I created a new issue type called feature with the same functionality as an epic. I then enabled the custom field of parent linking in the feature. So now I have a Epic>feature>story>sub-task hierarchy I can play with. It's not perfect when it comes to SAFe or some other agile philosophies but it works for the most part. 

Also if you're using SAFe and want this to show up properly in Roadmaps or master plans you'll need to make sure your Program backlog project is set up on a scrum board vs a Kanban board and the teams your program backlog feeds should also be scrum boards. You'll be able to map program increments like they were a sprint. So this will be big for your other applications Jira provides. Note: Some of the cool dashboards Jira lets you use won't show you everything perfectly. 

Daniel Joseph McLean April 20, 2021

So I didn't really directly answer your question initially. But in order for your stories to be nested under your feature they would need to be a child of the feature

kellie_mingus April 29, 2021

@Daniel Joseph McLean , this seems to be just what I am trying to do.  can you explain how you enabled the custom field of parent linking in the feature?

Thank you!

Kellie Mingus

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

I don't think this is quite right.

Jira only recognises a single issue type (Epic by default) as Epics, you can't create a new issue type "with the same functionality of an Epic".  You can create a feature issue type, but it's just another type of Story, with sub-tasks.  It can then have an Epic link to Epic types, the same as a story.  There are no parent links to features, because they're not Epics.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2020

Parent-child relationships are only for subtasks.

Nick Holdstock December 8, 2020

Thanks Joe.

Is it possible to show the relationship of Initiative > Epic > Feature > Story > Tasks in Advanced Roadmaps? The ask has been to expand the Initiative, then see all Epics, then Features, then Stories that make up that specific initiative? 

I have managed to achieve the below (attached) but I am unable to get multiple Stories to show under the Feature Issue type? All Features and Stories are showing on the same level and I would like Story to be a level lower.

screenshot.jpg

Thanks

Nick

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

I don't use agile so I don't know the answer. 

NCGR March 1, 2023

Hi @Nick Holdstock

Did you get any chance to do this hierarchy in Advance Roadmap Plan??

We also have the same requirements.

Please help to get it fix.

Thanks,

Manzoor Alam

0 votes
Tuesday September 19, 2021

I hope they consider adding Initiative - I have the same problem. I need to assign features (things we do over the course of a few sprints) to an Epic (a bigger problem, like something I need to solve in a quarter) to a Vision/Initiative (a permanent goal of our team, like Enable Data Driven Decision Making).

This feature seems missing, unfortunately, unless we use Tasks as Stories, which doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2021

Advanced Roadmaps adds initiatives and themes.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events