How to create issue directly in Kanban board?

Qing Zhang September 25, 2019

Hey everyone,

I have created the kanban board and when I create a new issue this issue will land first of all in the backlog. Could i somehow achieve to create issue and directly place the issue in the Kanban board?

Thanks all!

3 answers

3 votes
chadd May 2, 2021

Next-gen and Business projects provide a button to create a cards directly within a Kanban board's swimlane.  I think this is a great touch, and I wish that Classic projects provided this as well.  Note that this button is not shown if the board is a sprint. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 2.57.27 PM.png

chadd May 2, 2021

There's a ticket for adding this to classic projects here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17042

Like # people like this
0 votes
PVS
Banned
September 25, 2019

Hi @Qing Zhang ,

That could be done but you would need to use some scripting using one of the few add-ons that extends Jira.

In the hand, what is the point of having a Kanban board with Backlog to plan activities and not using it? Somehow at one point of time you/someone decided that was needed a backlog, and now you would like to define the exception? My recommendation here is then to switch off the backlog view and use the direct creation link to quickly create a new issue (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/creating-issues-via-direct-html-links-159474.html). You could place the link on the project side bar, or even on the top, etc.

Hope it helps,

PVS

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

Hi @Qing Zhang , issues appear in the Kanban based upon their status. So if you create an issue it first appears in the initial status, e.g. To Do, which typically is the Backlog status. You can either manually transition the issue into a status, e.g In Progress which would move it to the kanban board or you could consider automating to always transition new issues to In Progress. Though I doubt that is your goal here.

Suggest an answer