How to create free text custom field to include user picker (using @) and hyperlinks to other issues

Rony Len October 6, 2019

Hi 

I am trying to add a field to issues that is a free text.

I would like also to mention other Jira users in the text that will be identified by Jira (and the users will be suggested), that user will get a notification.

plus I would like to paste other issues URL and it will be identified.

How can I do that?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2019

Hi @Rony Len

The field "Text Field (multi-line)" will be able to accomplish this.

You do need to ensure that field has a wiki-style renderer applied. To achieve this:

• Add the custom field
  • In the Issues section of Admin, go to Field Configurations
  • Locate a field configuration linked to your project and select it
  • Against the new field, click the word Renderers
  • Change it to Wiki Style Renderer
  • Repeat for all configurations for other projects requiring this

Ste

Rony Len October 6, 2019

Bingo

Thanks!

Rony Len October 6, 2019

Quick follow up - when I add a user using @ - how can I configure that a notification will be sent to that person?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2019

Hi @Rony Len

It sends notifications for @ mentions by default - so when you mention a user, they should get an email.

Ste

Like Rony Len likes this
Rony Len October 6, 2019

Replies received in delay apparently, Thanks!

Elizabeth Smith February 18, 2020

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Hi Stephen. I needed this answer too as I want to be able to link an existing issue in a custom field. It does work but... the link is only there in my dashboard from my issues filter. See example - is this possible?JIRA.png

rakesh.b.kumar April 21, 2022

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ , Not sure what did worked for Rony, but mentions only works for System fields Comments and Description. It does not work for custom text field.

There are both Bug and Suggestions raised for this.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-32563

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-43350

Could you please let me know if you had any workaround or any script?

Thanks in advance !!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2022

Hi @rakesh.b.kumar 

The question was related to Cloud, not Server/DC. It does work in Cloud for custom Paragraph fields (i.e multi-line text fields).

It doesn't work in Server/DC at this time - as stated in the linked Feature Request/Bug.

Ste

0 votes
Jurate Piliutiene March 10, 2021

With ML1 plugin there is also an option, to auto populate specific field (like assignee) from historical free text field (like summary or description)

Suggest an answer