How to create epic as issue type without triggering ''A story should be part of an epic'' issue?

s_vanleeuwen1 March 30, 2021

So I have added a new project and gave all issue types (story, Bug, Epic, Improvement, New Feature, Task, Sub-Task) their own workflow. In addition, some other settings: default field configuration are similair for all issue types but the screen linked to every issue type is somewhat different.

Here is come: when I create an epic in this new project, I have removed the EPIC LINK field in it. Then I try to create the ticket as EPIC but fails and triggers the issue '' A story should be part of an epic''. How is this possible since I am creating an EPIC not a STORY.

It does show me the following sub-notification under the chose Issue Type itself: ''Some issue types are unavailable due to incompatible field configuration and/or workflow associations.'' However, I don't know what this means and how to solve it. 

jira bug - a story should be part of an epic.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2022

Hi @s_vanleeuwen1  - Did you ever get this solved?

0 votes
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2021

Hi @s_vanleeuwen1 ,

could you please head over to the workflow currently in use for your 'Epic' issue type and check for validators being present at the initial 'Create' transition? If there is one provoking this message (probably requiring a value for the 'Epic link' field), please remove this one. However, ensure that this workflow is really only used for your Epics.

Cheers
Thorsten

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events