How to create an automatic backup in JIRA Cloud every 24hrs?

Martin Gauss March 9, 2017

Hi guys,

I am running a JIRA Cloud instance and I would like to automatically create a backup everyday.

Right now I have to login into JIRA and create it manually via Administration->System->Backup Manager->Create Backup for Cloud

In this link it says that "Point in time backups for your instance are taken every 24 hours for purposes of recovery from application failure."

Does that mean it should automatically create a daily backup every 24 hours? Because right now it doesn't do that.

How can I create an automatic backup without running any scripts or else. Is there a Marketplace addon for this?

4 answers

2 votes
K_ Yamamoto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2020

I introduced a way to automate backups at Automate online site-backups for Jira and Confluence. It might be suitable for the 1st baby step.

2 votes
QuentinB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2017

An automatique backup is already made every 24h by Atlassian for recovery purpose.
In the JIRA Atlassian there is an open request for this feature :
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-6498
This documentation may help you : 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-automate-backups-for-jira-cloud-applications-779160659.html 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2017

The backups that you, as an end-user, can get to are different.

They are created when you ask for them, with a maximum frequency of one every two days.  You just need to click backup and download, and Quentin's link shows you how to automate it.

But the answer to the question you've asked is "you can't".  The best you can do is the scripted regular download, once every other day.

Like Matt Meissner likes this
Martin Gauss March 9, 2017

Hey @Quentin Bellégo [Valiantys], if I need the backup of Atlassian, how would I roll back to their backup?

Should I just contact their support and ask them to roll back to yesterday's backup or how is this handled?

Do you know at which time (morning/night) they create the backup?

Best Regards

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2017

No, the Atlassian backups are there for them to do recovery, and are taken at slightly variable times (because they're backing up thousands of Cloud systems).  They're not intended for end users to use.

You can ask, and they might do it, but don't expect them to do it regularly.  If you need backups, use the ones provided by the backup manager.

1 vote
David Gabriel April 29, 2020

Hi guys,

since none of the proposed solutions worked for me (or where lacking features), and the scripts provided by atlassian are pretty bare-bones, I created a  bash script implementation that is able to back up confluence, jira and bitbucket. you can find it here:

https://github.com/b2cc/shellscripts/tree/master/atlassian-backup

best,
david

Steffen Müller February 3, 2021

Same story with me, I wrote a CLI tool using Node.js that features backup retention management and an Opsgenie integration for monitoring. Feel free to check it out: https://bitbucket.org/addcraftio/atlascloud-backup/src/master/

Best,
Steffen

Like Vitali likes this
0 votes
Ilya Lagutin September 17, 2017

Hi 

For everyone who want to automate Jira Cloud backups i can suggest this python script. 

Script and howto use

Parker Van Dyk January 14, 2019

I am trying to view this website and it's seems like it can't be reached. Can you update the link?

Like # people like this
Parker Van Dyk April 17, 2019

Thanks man.

Suggest an answer