How to create a template of issue

Jane Simidian May 5, 2023

Hello,

I would like to create a template of an issue in an existing project, is it doable in Jira ? 

That would include a pre-filled description field that users could edit after the publishing of the issue (a form basically) and an attachment (word document) that would be in the issue by default. 

I guess I need admin access to create a template issue ? 

Thank you for your help

2 answers

0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Jane Simidian

Welcome to the community!

I'm Luka from codefortynine, and if you are willing to use a third-party app our Deep Clone for Jira app can help you with cloning your templates. With it, you can create your template issues in a project and then clone them every time you need to. With Deep Clone you can also clone whole hierarchy templates with Initiatives - Epics - Tasks - Subtasks or even whole template projects.

Edit: Just noticed the server tag. Deep Clone for Jira is unfortunately only available for Jira Cloud.

0 votes
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2023

hi @Jane Simidian 

Such functionality is not available natively in JIRA. adding a default value for the system field description is not also possible even if you're a JIRA admin.

One Solution Could be to contact your JIRA admin to see if there is a possibility to have a dedicated field for your project named "template" or re-use an existing one with a dedicated context for your project to have your template as a default value.

For the attachment part, you could add a public link (sharepoint, conflunce ...etc) in the template field and instruct the user to download it, modify it and attach it to the ticket.

Pro-Tip: the template field will be available in read/write mode, you can keep it in the create screen and remove it from the edit screen if you have a dedicated screen for each operation.

Good Luck and let us know if further elaboration is needed.

Cheers,

Karim

Suggest an answer