How to create a story which contains task from different projects

Praveen Dara January 25, 2022

I have three different projects.
Let's say: A, B, C

These projects has different tasks.
Lets say A-> a1,a2,a3...
B -> b1,b2,b3...
C-> c1,c2,c3...

In order to implement one user story different tasks needs to be done from two or more projects.
Let's say a story would contain a1, b2, b3, c3

So how can I create one user story which can include (a1, b2, b3, c3) which are from different projects (A,B,C).

The problem I face:
If I create a story under project B then I can no longer add a1, c3 from other projects.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

You do not do this.

Issues do not contain sub-tasks.  A sub-task is a part of an issue, not a separate entity.

You can't have a parent item with sub-tasks in a different project.  By definition, a sub-task is in a project because it is part of a parent issue that is in the project.

My usual example on sub-tasks is a comparison aimed more at people not understanding what a sub-task is in a sprint context - your story is "Charlie wants to complete a park run".  in terms of sprints, you wouldn't enter Charlie into this week's sprint, and Charlie's left leg into the on next week.  It's similar for projects - Charlie's left leg is in the "Charlie" project because Charlie's sprinting is in the project and the left leg is a part of it.  Charlies left leg wouldn't be in project "Bob"...

Praveen Dara January 25, 2022

Ok

Like Kalos Bonasia likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2022

That is what I said.  

Tash March 28, 2023

so how do you handle the scenario? Should we be linking them. From a portfolio management perspective, I want to create a parent ticket which will result in child tickets that would need to go into different project boards. How do I do this correctly?

Suggest an answer