How to create a portal only customer?

Gustavo Nunes Batista June 14, 2017

Hi, really junior Jira admin and I'm having some issues with creating portal only customers. 

The steps I'm taking are as follows:

• Create new user in user management;
  • Uncheck all 3 licenses and the e-mail invitation box;
  • "Create"

From what I've read it should prompt you to set a password for the new customer but it's just going to the created account. It's not an issue for most users but we have some generic accounts whose e-mail acount is ficticious and it becomes an issue when trying to create a new one.

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Hi Gustavo,

The reason you're running into that is due to the changes in the Atlassian ID.  You can find more information about the changes at Administer Atlassian accounts. It sounds like your accounts are personal accounts.  With a managed account, as an administrator, "you control the access to products for your users, but you don't have any control over their accounts."

This will present a challenge when it comes to emails that don't exist since the only method for you to change that password is to click Reset password and have the user reset their password from the email that is sent out.

Depending on how you're setting up your instance there are email services that provide an email address for a period of time that will expire, however, you'll run into issues if you need to change the password in the future so at this time I would recommend looking into Managed accounts.

Cheers,

Branden

Gustavo Nunes Batista June 14, 2017

Ah cheers Branden.

I'll look for a workaround then :)

Suggest an answer