How to create a new project with the exact same schemes as an existing ones?

Nicole Ogloza January 27, 2020

I am looking for a way to automate this. How can I get this to have the same scheme as one projects and use it as a template across all projects?

This will be using JIRA Cloud, and do not want the coding version of how to solve this.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Hi @Nicole Ogloza

If you're creating a new Classic project, you can do this to copy the schemes from another project:

1. Click "Create Project" and select "Classic Project"
  2. Check the box "Share settings with an existing project"
  3. Choose the project to copy the settings from
  4. Continue and create the project

^ The project will now have the same workflow schemes, screen schemes, etc as the one you targeted.

Note this only works for Classic Projects. This is not available for Next-Gen as of yet - but is on the public roadmap as coming in 2020, see "Copy next-gen project configurations and workflows"

Ste

Nicole Ogloza January 27, 2020

Thanks @ste 

Kyle Mann September 8, 2021

How can this be done in 2021, now that "classic projects" have been renamed as "company-managed"? In the current interface setup, when I create a new project, I am not seeing a box to  "Share settings with an existing project".

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2021

Hi @Kyle Mann 

This is still possible, it's just a few steps into the process:

1. Select Projects > Create Project
  2. Select a template - for example, Kanban
  3. Select the button Use template
  4. Select a company-managed project
  5. On the next screen, Add project details, the box Share settings with an existing project is possible to check

Ste

Like Douglas Ramirez likes this
Kyle Mann September 20, 2021

Thank you Stephen! I wasn't seeing that box when I was looking at this last week.

Heather Prescott May 12, 2022

I am not seeing the 'Share settings with an existing project'.  Where can I find it?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 26, 2022

Hi Heather

The process in this comment above still works - did you manage to find this option in the end?

Ste

1 vote
Karolina Boguszewska January 16, 2023

Hi, I followed all the steps but I got a project with no board. How can I achieve creating a new project from existing one so in the end I would have the board with all columns and setting also copied from the existing project to the new one?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2023

Hi @Karolina Boguszewska 

You can't using this option.

I would envisage this is because:

• Whilst some Company-managed Software Projects have Boards in their templates, Boards are not intrinsically linked to Projects - so aren't included in these settings.
  • The "Share Settings" option isn't copying a Project's configuration - it is sharing it with a new Project. Boards meanwhile would need to be copied.

---

You could copy a Board though, and link it to the newly created Project?

To do this...

1. Go to the Search Bar (top-right) and click on it
  2. Near the bottom of the iFrame which appears, select the Boards button
  3. Locate the Board you wish to duplicate
  4. On the right-hand side, select Options (3-dots icon) > Copy
  5. Copy the Board
  6. Next, go to the newly created Board's Board Settings
  7. Select General from the left-hand menu
  8. Modify the Location, so the Board is listed under your new Project
  9. Create a new Filter, and replace the one currently in the Board, so it filters for Issues in your new Project

^ This should provide you all the Board's settings with only minor changes to be made to point it to your new Project!

Note: You must create a new filter, do not modify the one which already exists. This is because the "Copy" function does not copy the filter, it just utilises the same filter from the original board.

---

Let us know if this works for you!

Ste

Karolina Boguszewska January 16, 2023

Thank you! It worked great :) 

Paul Nel April 10, 2023

So I am at a bit of a loss following these solutions.  I have created a new project in Jira Product Discovery and really dread re-doing all the changes and mods for the next project as well.  I am not able to successfully follow any of the above suggestions to use this project as a template for a new one. 

Have there been updates that makes the above old advice perhaps? 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

Hi @Paul Nel 

As far as I know, Jira Product Discovery Projects do not have this option at present.

Ste

Suggest an answer