How to create a dashboard that breaks down category of work by story points NOT # of issues

Drina Minott
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 7, 2024

I am a product manager who would like to easily plan my sprints by using a dashboard view that breaks down a sprints category of work by story points. Right now I have a view that only breaks it down by the number of issues (stories/tasks/spikes/etc.). I would like to know how much effort/resources/value I'm adding to each sprint which is more accurately calculated by story points (b/c of the way my team uses story points). How can I create the filter to then use for a graph in Jira? 

4 answers

1 vote
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2024

Hi @Drina Minott 

Welcome to the community !!

If you are ok to consider a mktplace app to help with this use case, you can try out the one we have developed for the same use case. 

Capacity Planner

The app allows to store the capacity and view the no of story points completed by each team member over the course of the sprint. This can be added as a dashboard gadget too. Do try it out.

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

TeamMember_Tasks.png

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 7, 2024

Hi @Drina Minott

just to add to Laura's answer: If you are open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you'll find a number of apps that can help with creating various kinds of sprint reports or breakdowns. 

E.g., I believe you might like the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

With these, you can build a report like e.g. this in just a couple of clicks:

storypoints-per-component.gif

I'm viewing the story points per component here, but you can also group by any other issue field(s). The issues within a sheet are determined by a JQL statement (or saved filter) meaning that you can pull in any issues that you might be interested in.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

1 vote
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2024

Hello @Drina Minott and welcome to the Community!  When you refer to a sprint's "category" of work, are you referring to the Components of each issue?  The filter itself should be easy enough to create and you have several options: 

1. use the "sprint in" syntax to pull multiple open, closed or future sprints 
  2. use the "sprint =" syntax to search for specific sprints by name/number

The output of that can be reported on however you choose (i.e. Component or Labels by Story Points) in whatever format or Dashboard gadget you choose (i.e. Two Dimensional Filter Statistics).  HTH

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 14, 2024

Welcome to the community, @Drina Minott.

I am Marlene, product manager of Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards.

Our app comes with a set of dashboard gadgets, which are able to sum up any Jira number field, including story points.

On top of it, the gadgets can be dynamically filtered with a Quick Controller gadget, e.g. you could filter the gadgets per component, sprint or assignee.

You can test our app without installation on our demo dashboards.

quick-filters-jira-dashboards_story-points-per-assignee-and-component.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events