How to create a custom screen after the version create screen?

Shagufta Gurmukhdas November 7, 2016

I want to create a custom screen after the version create screen which will have a dropdown and according to the value of that dropdown I want to add an event listener to automatically create a specific number of user stories programmatically. How do I do that? Is there a way to edit the version create screen and add a dropdown? Or else what's the way to add another screen after the version creation screen has been pressed OK on and show the dropdown on this second screen and thus take actions in the backend then?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2016

You'll need to hack the core code in JIRA to do that - the screens are provided by the code.

You could do the second part with an add-on though.  JIRA throws events when versions are changed, so you could write a listener to catch those events and do something (like create new issues) when they are triggered.  See https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/jira-architecture/jira-technical-overview/jira-specific-atlassian-events for the full list of events you can catch.

Shagufta Gurmukhdas November 7, 2016

Sorry, i'm a newbie. So does this mean I have to download the source code and change it? No other way to add the dropdown? Through a screen or anything else if not a screen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2016

It depends on how the particular screen you want to hack works.  Many are done with templates or webwork which are not compiled into code, and they live in the application installation in plain text.

If the screen you need to amend is one of these, and your changes are going to use functions that are available, then you may only need to change those templates.  However if it's not done that way, or you need your own code to run, then yes, you'll need to download the source and recompile it with your changes.

Suggest an answer