How to create a custom filter in board in Next Gen project

Harris Kaldis January 17, 2019

The situation:

In my tasks I have created a dropdown with 5 different values.

In my kanban board, I would like to filter the tasks based on the values of the dropdown list. 

The problem is that i cannot find a way to create this filter.

2 answers

0 votes
Tara L Conklin September 13, 2019

@Petter Gonçalves  - I do hope the filter function is added to the Next-Gen. I did vote for the issue. 

Question: I am a new administrator to Jira and do need to create a private board that contains a custom filter. How do I make a private classic project?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2019

Hello Tara,

Basically, the permissions to access/see Classic project issues are configured by its permission scheme, more specifically with the Browser Project permission. Of course, it has more granular permission options than Next-gen (Who can create issues, log work, transition issues, administer project, etc).

So that's what you would need to do in order to make your project private:

1 - Navigate to your project > Project Settings > People and add all the users that should access the project to any role you want (JIRA-Software, for example)

2 - Once you do it, navigate to your project > Project Settings > Permissions 

3 - Add the role that you added all the users in People tab in the Browse Projects permission

4 - Remove the "Application access (Any logged in user)" from the Browse project permissions together with all other groups/roles that are not relevant. P.S: The atlassian-addons-project-access is related to the add-ons permission, so you must keep it in your permission scheme.

5 - Check the other permissions that the users must have and keep adding the role you created to it, removing the ones that should not be able to do it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tara L Conklin September 16, 2019

Thanks, @Petter Gonçalves  - this is helpful. One clarification, what if I want to make a board private for only me? I would like to create a place where I can track all work assigned to me, but also personal projects I'm working on. 

I tried to create a personal board as mentioned above, but it still requires me to have a project for my Epics (which don't work - all are labeled as "unlabelled" and don't show any of their tasks. I've exhausted my efforts trying to solve this in Jira Cloud). 

So ideally, creating a Classic private board only accessible/visible to me would be the best solution from what I can gather.  

joshua March 4, 2020

have you tried your dashboard?

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2019

Hello Harris,

The Next-Gen projects were created to give an option for those teams which are looking for a simpler solution than the conventional JIRA projects.

That been said, next-gen projects removed several features from the Classic projects in order to give the simplicity some customers are looking for, including the ability to edit the filter of a board.

If you would like to have this feature in the next-gen projects, please feel free to vote for the feature request below:

Ability to configure board filters for next-gen project

Also, feel free to add yourself as a watcher to be notified of any updates.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Adrian Lynch August 16, 2019

I really don't understand why you've taken away so many features.

I don't know anyone who's cool with the changes.

I'm left with a board that I can't quickly filter.

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2019

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for your feedback.

As mentioned before, the Next-gen template was designed for those users who felt overwhelmed by the complexity of JIRA Classic template and requested a simpler option, straight to the point with fewer options of customization.

That being said, we are not planning to take away the features from Classic projects and leave you only with the simple next-gen boards, but to keep both classic and next-gen templates and give both options and set of features you want to implement. Sorry to hear that you feel like we are taken away any features from the application.

If you would like to use Jira Next-gen projects with the possibility to edit filters, I suggest you vote in the feature request so our developers can have more feedback to support the implementation.

For now, you can still use a classic project to have this feature. You can also follow the documentation below if you need to move content between both next-gen and Classic projects:

Migrate between next-gen and classic projects 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shaun Sheehan January 7, 2020

I upvoted.  The great thing about the filters in Jira is that they are a bit buried - you have to know where to go to find the settings and not visible unless you have set one or more up.  So having them in Next-gen wouldn't really add complexity for those who don't want to use them, but it would provide the functionality to those who want it. 

Like # people like this
Gustavo Saiani February 11, 2020

I agree that there could be a way to have custom filters in Next Gen, and keep it basic for those who prefer it that way.

Like # people like this
Mark McPartland October 5, 2020

Interesting stock response from Atlassian above.
Contradicts what this page says about Next-Gen projects:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Everything-you-want-to-know-about-next-gen-projects-in-Jira/ba-p/894773

I just created a next-gen project. Why are there so few features and settings? Where are my schemes?

Next-gen projects represent the future of Jira. We added the most-needed, most-common project settings first. And, we're constantly adding additional settings based on your feedback.

So with that, the future looks like being a long and hard road ahead to get back to the future of what was already available (and needed) in classic

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer