How to create a columns by customer with their own statuses in Jira project

Ivana Miljkovic January 18, 2021

Hi guys, 

I really need your support here :)

We would like for our internal purposes to create a columns by customers with their own statuses in Jira project. 

For example:

column 1 with name: Customer x (where I can create stories with their own statuses: to do, in progress, done)

column 2 with name: Customer y (where I can create stories with their own statuses: to do, in progress, done)

column 3 with name Customer z: (where I can create stories with their own statuses: to do, in progress, done)

I am not sure if this is possible because of the workflow in Jira where we have column by default to do, in progress, done that correspond to their status to do, in progress, done. 

As I want to use that column (for example to do column) and rename it in customer x, (column in progress and rename it in customer y), but it is probably not possible as this column has its own status and I can change the name of the column but I won't be able to change statuses of the story within that column. 

Do you have any proposals? I am open to everything to try. 

Thank you guys

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 20, 2021

Hi @Carlos Garcia Navarro

You could use a third party app like Comala Canvas for Jira, which let you create a board/grid using any field as columns and/or rows. Something like this

Toggle the visual dependencies feature to see the relationships between your issues, something that is critical for teams using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) to enterprise-scale their Agile development.

But having your customers as columns.

Regards

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Kaixo Gorka! Oh, yeah, I remember I've seen this before. Thanks for bringing it up!

Like Gorka Puente _Appfire_ likes this
Ivana Miljkovic January 20, 2021

This is really good. What about a pricing?  

James Conway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2021

Hey @Gorka Puente _Appfire_ thanks for the mention!

@Ivana Miljkovic Comala Canvas for Jira is available on the Atlassian Marketplace which manages billing. You can see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211683/comala-canvas-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=pricing for pricing examples.

If you have any further questions please get in contact with us via https://support.comalatech.com 

All the best

James
Senior Product Manager

Like Gorka Puente _Appfire_ likes this
0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2021

Hi @Ivana Miljkovic ,

What about creating several swimlanes, where each swimlane corresponds to a customer? You can create a new board and configure it to use swimlanes defined by queries. Each swimlane would correspond to a customer:

E.g.: Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.33.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.34.24 AM.png

Hi @Carlos Garcia Navarro 

Thank you so much for your quick response. Not sure if this can be suitable for this case.

For better explanation what we need, I put a screenshot from excel doc where I tried to explain what we need (with questions)Jira columns.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2021

You are not going to get anything like that.  The columns are based purely on status.

I suposed. Is there any other option to see it? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2021

I can't think of a way to do that.  The closest I think you can get is what @Carlos Garcia Navarro  suggested - Column by status, swimlane by customer

Like Carlos Garcia Navarro likes this

Thank you Nic. I am starting with the proposal you guys gave to me. 

Two more questions. 

- Can I put the color to be seen on the card/story/task based on the status where it belongs (e.g. to do in yellow, in progress orange, done in green) and where to find that option? I tried, but didn't find it.

- Can I create a report from those created issues with their statuses that will be presented in swim lanes (customers) and which kind of a report? 

Thank you so much

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2021

Hello,

You can configure the card layout in the board setting, and set up a color based on the query (e.g. status = "in progress"):Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.32.59 PM.png

But you can still use the columns to indicate the status, in fact, I'd rely on the columns to indicate the statuses rather than the colors.

Regarding the report, you can create a dashboard with a two dimensional filter statistics  gadget where you use the field status and the one for the customer (in this case, the text field wouldn't be eligible for the table, so maybe you can use a label instead to indicate the customer):

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 10.51.42 PM.png

Ivana Miljkovic January 20, 2021

Thank you Carlos, 

Do you have any links that can help me to create this type of dashboard? Or to help me how can I start with the creation. (I started like this, but do not know other steps.. and also can not find the  two dimensional filter statistics  gadget - maybe I can not see it and only Jira admin?)

I have never created this one.

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2021

>Can I put the color to be seen on the card/story/task based on the status

Yes, but it's mostly a waste of time because you already know the status from the column the issue is in.

> Can I create a report from those created issues with their statuses that will be presented in swim lanes (customers) and which kind of a report? 

Not directly - remember swimlanes are not data items, they are selections. 

I would start by adding a two dimensional filter gadget to a dashboard, and telling it to use status and customer as the two axes.  To do that, hit the dashboard menu item in the top bar and follow the path along "new dashboard" and clicking "add gadget"

Suggest an answer