How to create a Subtask on the Parent with Subtask Post Function

Michael Romrell March 13, 2015

The Background: Under a single parent issue, we currently have a single "track" of subtasks that automatically occur sequentially (ex: closing "SubTask1" Auto Creates "SubTask2", close that and it Auto creates "SubTask3...") As each subtask closes it auto transitions the Parent Status (which is what actually triggers the creation of the next subtask in the sequence). This works Great

The Goal: We have 2-3 "tracks" of subtasks that need to occur simultaneously under a single parent Issue. So regardless of whats happening with SubTask 1,2,3 (track a)  -   SubTasks A,B,C (track b) needs to also be created automatically (ex: closing "SubTaskA" Auto Creates "SubTaskB", close that and it Auto creates "SubTaskC...").

1. PARENT ISSUE
    1. SubTask1>SubTask2>SubTask3...  (This Is the Only 'track' that affects Parent Status)
    2. SubTaskA>SubTaskB>SubTaskC...
    3. SubTask5c>SubTask5d>SubTask5e...

The Problem: Currently Subtasks 1,2,3 are being auto created during a transition of the Parent Status. But since Subtask A,B,C can't also update the Parent status (since it must occur independently of 1,2,3) I need SubTaskB to be created under the parent as part of the 'close' post function on the SubTaskA Workflow.

How do I make the post function on a Subtask Workflow Auto-create a new Subtask on the Parent Issue??

Note: I'm currently using a combination of the Script Runner and MISC JIRA Workflow plugins.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Romrell March 17, 2015

I Found that the Bob Swift Plugin "Create on Transition" Works very well. It lets you assign a post function to a subtask workflow and that post function lets you create another subtask off of the parent when the original subtask is transitioned. It solved my issue.

0 votes
Javier Salvay July 11, 2017

Hi All,

I was going to post something like this, but since it is here already written, have you found anyway to do it with scriptrunner coding?

Or any free add-in?

Thanks in advance,

Suggest an answer