How to create a Subtask on the Parent with Subtask Post Function

The Background: Under a single parent issue, we currently have a single "track" of subtasks that automatically occur sequentially (ex: closing "SubTask1" Auto Creates "SubTask2", close that and it Auto creates "SubTask3...") As each subtask closes it auto transitions the Parent Status (which is what actually triggers the creation of the next subtask in the sequence). This works Great

The Goal: We have 2-3 "tracks" of subtasks that need to occur simultaneously under a single parent Issue. So regardless of whats happening with SubTask 1,2,3 (track a)  -   SubTasks A,B,C (track b) needs to also be created automatically (ex: closing "SubTaskA" Auto Creates "SubTaskB", close that and it Auto creates "SubTaskC...").

1. PARENT ISSUE
    1. SubTask1>SubTask2>SubTask3...  (This Is the Only 'track' that affects Parent Status)
    2. SubTaskA>SubTaskB>SubTaskC...
    3. SubTask5c>SubTask5d>SubTask5e...

The Problem: Currently Subtasks 1,2,3 are being auto created during a transition of the Parent Status. But since Subtask A,B,C can't also update the Parent status (since it must occur independently of 1,2,3) I need SubTaskB to be created under the parent as part of the 'close' post function on the SubTaskA Workflow.

How do I make the post function on a Subtask Workflow Auto-create a new Subtask on the Parent Issue??

Note: I'm currently using a combination of the Script Runner and MISC JIRA Workflow plugins.

2 answers

1 accepted

I Found that the Bob Swift Plugin "Create on Transition" Works very well. It lets you assign a post function to a subtask workflow and that post function lets you create another subtask off of the parent when the original subtask is transitioned. It solved my issue.

Hi All,

I was going to post something like this, but since it is here already written, have you found anyway to do it with scriptrunner coding?

Or any free add-in?

Thanks in advance,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,241 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot