How to copy the last comment in Automation in Jira plugin

icould January 15, 2018

Hi, 

I have the following Automation for Jira plugin.

jira.png

We have two projects, called MKT and RND. There are tasks created in MKT and duplicated in RND. This is done also in another script using Automation in Jira. In the script above, if the issue in RND is marked as closed, then the linked issue in MKT is transitioned to a certain status. This works like a chart using the above script. I want to achieve now the following:

When the issue is done in RND, there is mostly a comment that one of our developers puts in the RND ticket. Using above script, how can I copy the last comment in RND ticket to the MKT ticket that is going to be transitioned?

1 answer

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2018

Hi Aykut,

You can use the add comment action, and use this smart value:

{{triggerIssue.comment.last.body}}

Let me know if that works for you

Scott.

icould January 16, 2018

That works!!! 

Thank you.

Cesar Duran April 17, 2018

Thanks for this Scott.

Shinsuke Maita November 6, 2019

Sccott-san,

If you know about below please tell me.

If I want to add the user name commented into the field, do you know what smart value should I use?

I tried "{{triggerIssue.comment.last.author}}" but the user name commented was not added (I confirmed like "52c7d57f215eg4873c4472e2.")

Thank you.

Paul Mata November 18, 2019

@Shinsuke Maita to show the name of the author of the last comment (this is for cloud), use displayName (author returns the account id).

For example: 

{{issue.comment.last.author.displayName}} said "{{issue.comment.last.body}}"

returns:

displayName.PNG

Like ben_adair likes this
Yurii Zhatkin January 10, 2020

@Paul Mata  do you know if it is possible to show the comment author name also on server? 

and also would it be possible to limit the last comment in number of characters? Coz sometimes the text there is too big and it takes too much space on our queue view. So we would like to limit it to lets say 90 or 120 characters. 

I would appreciate your help. 

Cheers,
Yurii

Like dkozlenkov likes this
Philip Livsey March 24, 2020

Hey Yurri - while looking for my own answer and reading docs I found this, which may help you. 

Chaining smart value functions

You can apply multiple transformations in one step by chaining your smart functions.

You can change an issue’s summary to lowercase, only use the first 10 characters, and add !! to the end using the following example.

{{issue.summary.toLowerCase().substring(0, 10).concat("!!")}}

You could customize that Smart Value function to comments, and substring(0, 90) I believe.

Yurii Zhatkin March 24, 2020

Hi Philip, 

looks like a good solution. I will try. Thanks a lot. 

JAVA July 6, 2020

It work greats for text but I have problem with comment with image. 

image.pngIs there a way to solve it? The comment is coming for JServicesDesk to JS

Like Jira Admin likes this
Wildson Luís Fernandes de Lucena
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 8, 2023

Hi @JAVA , did you have this solution? I'm with the same issue

Suggest an answer