8 votes
Christine Absil November 13, 2014

OK, now I've got it smile 

jira - project category2.png

2 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2013

Hi,

If we are talking aboue JIRA then you need to go to Administration > Projects > Project Categories. After adding a new category you will be able to use it when editing a project.

More information you can find in below documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project

I hope that will help

Best Regards,

Mirek

1 vote
DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

See that you say Mirek.

Also, you can see all project with her categories that you've in your JIRA if you go to 'Projects -> View All Projects'. In the menu on the left, you find different project categories that you define in your JIRA.

Best regards,

Daniel

0 votes
David Santamaria February 6, 2020

Morning. Is it possible to allow project admins to edit the project category? then they could indicate when a project is finished. Now they have to ask to change it to finished project to the Jira admin.

thanks!

0 votes
Tony Elliott May 14, 2019

on the same topic of project category...our issue is although we have defined our values for the drop down in Category, and admins assigned, those admins get an error message when trying to change the category. message is along the lines of "couldnt update the details.  sorry your project is special...."   Any fix to this?  what have we configured wrong?

0 votes
Greg Sussman December 6, 2018

I believe this is an issue with the Next-gen projects.

Our JIRA installation has a mix of the original project types and the next-gen projects.

The Original projects have no issue changing the category it is shows as a selection from the project details screen.

ORIGINAL PROJECT

Old Project.png

NEXT-GEN PROJECT

Next-gen project.png

0 votes
Felix Dorner November 23, 2018

Same issue here... I'm working within a next-gen project and there is no option to change the project's category.

0 votes
Nyaradzo V Mahlasela September 17, 2018

can some one just assist on the project category issue ...i have the same problem too

0 votes
Evan Hart July 17, 2017

Can anyone confirm that 'system administrator' permission is what is required to change the category?  We are trying to deligate the editing of this field to the 'project lead' and/or 'project administrator' roles.

0 votes
Ulrika Eriksson April 13, 2015

But for a project administrators the category is not a link. Can't the category be updated by others than system administrators? Have checked permissions schemes, but can not find where to add this access to give project admins access to change categroy?

0 votes
Christine Absil November 13, 2014

I 100% agree with Denis : 20 minutes I'am trying to find the way to "edit the project Category" : "enter(ing) the project Administration section by clicking a project name and then click the link next to the Category field (located under the project name)" does not help: there is no link next to the Category field. Despite I am JIRA admin, project admin and project leader.

Clicking _on_ the category field does not help either.  (it leads to browing the projects by categories)

jira - project category.png

What do I miss?

0 votes
Denis Hoctor September 25, 2014

Hi,

I'm not clear on how to associate a created category with a project? There is no option when editing a project or category to create the relationship in my cloud JIRA version. What have I missed?

I can see a Projects column in categories but it's empty and reading https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project doesn't give detail on how/where to create this relationship.

Thanks

Denis

Suggest an answer