How to combine user stories from different EPIC under the same project for the sprint?

Manoj Kumar Sundararajan September 17, 2019

Hi All,

I have a API integration project (main project), under that i have created multiple EPICS based on API integration, Core changes, Payment Gateway integration etc. I wanted to pic user stories from different EPIC's under the same project to run the sprint?

Is it feasible? How it can be accomplished?

Can i group them based on Themes and run the sprint?

Any suggestions

1 answer

1 vote
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2019

You first create your sprint(s) from the Scrum Board, "Create Sprint" option.  Then you assign user stories to those sprints.  The Epic that a Story sits under is irrelevant to which sprint you assign the stories.

Have a read here: https://www.atlassian.com/agile/tutorials/sprints

Manoj Kumar Sundararajan September 17, 2019

Thanks pete, let me cross check that... 

Manoj Kumar Sundararajan September 18, 2019

Hi Pete,

I got another question linked to my previous question, 

I'm working on a web development project, it has multiple dimensions to it. Supplier API integrations, Payment Gateway integration, Code Change (Frond & backend) and Vendor Fulfilment API integration which are projects on its own.

Is it ok to show each projects as EPIC's under one main project to keep track of each individual items. 

If so, how i can group the user stories for each sprint?

Is it a good idea to group the user stories based on each webpages or features?

Or it is best to write EPIC based on each Webpage or WebPage features and write the respective user stories under them?

Is there any repository which i can refer to realtime project EPICs & User Stories?

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

I'm not sure I understand your question.  You use Epics to group the Stories (based on Features or something similar).  Then you assign Stories to sprints to complete the work.  When all stories are complete under an Epic then you can complete that Epic.

Manoj Kumar Sundararajan September 19, 2019

Hi Pete,

If i have multiple API integration and also Front end & Back end core changes. I'm planning to create Epic for

Epic 1: API Integration

Epic 2: Front end & Back end core change + GUI changes

Based on the features, i'm planning to group User Stories from both the EPIC for sprint planning. Is this feasible. 

Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2019

Yes - as I said before, the Epic is irrelevant, just assign the Stories to the sprints you want them in, it doesn't matter which Epic they sit under.

Suggest an answer