How to combine two text fields into one field when copying a ticket? using project automation Jira

Jennifer Volpe March 7, 2019

I am trying to figure out how I can combine two values (from two different fields) that I have from a ticket. I want to combine the values from organization name field and campaign name field to put them both into summary field.

Would I use the the 'more options' section on the project automation page? The format is shown like this but I am not sure how to two values into one field.

{
"fields": {
"environment": "Thanks for raising {{issue.key}}.",
"labels": [
"bugfix",
"blitz_test"
],
"Custom Field Name": {
"value": "red"
}

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 1.25.21 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for raising this question.

I understand that you would like to concatenate the values of two custom fields in the summary of the new issue when you clone an existing one. Is that correct?

If that's the case, you just need to add the smart values of the respective custom fields in the summary of the issue.

Smart values are the JSON reference of a field value. For a custom field, the format would be like:

{{issue.Custom Field.value}}

Where "Custom Field" is the name of your field. 

Here is an example of how you can concatenate the values of two fields (Issuekey and description):

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 17.27.20.png

For more reference regarding smart values, you can check the documentation below:

Available Values

Let us know if this information helps. :)

Jennifer Volpe March 12, 2019

yes that helps a lot - thank you!!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2019

You are welcome, Jenni. :)

Let us know if you face any questions about the instructions provided.

I wish you an awesome Tuesday!

Like Mirka Osojca likes this
Frank Gibson October 20, 2019

Hi, is something similar possible with a Classic Project?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 21, 2019

Hello Frank,

Unfortunately, there are no post functions in classic projects that provide you with the ability to concatenate two different values of a field in a different one.

The option offered above would be using the automation for JIRA. Please, give it a try and check if the 300 executions per/month provided by the free version will fulfill your needs.

0 votes
Oleg Mashalanchuk June 15, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves 

Hi,

Maybe you know how to merge user properrties? I tried {{issue.assignee.properties.KEY}}, but it's doesn't work.

Suggest an answer