How to close related linked issue when parent get close

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2021

Dear all,

We need to implement a new issue type named "major Incident" to which users will link incident related to it like :

- Major Inciden issue
- Incident issue 1
- Incident issue 2
- Incident issue 3

What I need to do is when the Major Incident parent issue is close, I need to close automatically all related Incident issue 1,2 and 3 as above exemple.

What is the proper way to do that in jira cloud I guess by using automation rules ?

Please note that related issue type to Major incident parent are NOT sub task they are linked Issue

Thanks for help
regards

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sandesh Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2021

@serge calderara ,

you can try to write a automation rule like this ->

trigger -> when a issue is transitioned to done

branch rule -> write a branch rule for linked issues

action -> close all linked issues (change the status to done)

you can customize this as per your use case.

Please find the screenshot bellow for your reference

kindly accept the answer if this resolves your issue

linkedissues.png

Service Desk July 6, 2022

Yes this worked for me

Like Sam Ayres likes this
Janek Looschen May 11, 2023

Hey @Sandesh Shetty

sorry to bother you. The Request Serge had is the kind of exact oppsoite of what im trying to Achieve and maybe you can help me here.

My Automation has to prohibit the transition isntead of triggering it. If any Child ticket is still open or in any other status than Done/Canceled i want the automation, to block the action. 

Do you have any idea how to achieve that?

Thanks 

Janek

0 votes
Kit Friend
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2021

Yep - Automation rules is your easiest approach here. 

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2021

How would you setup the rules then in order to identify all related issue of a certain types which are not Sub task ?

Kit Friend
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2021
serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2021

@Kit Friend the link you post jump to my own post :-)

Kit Friend
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2021

Sorry new year brain slow... the answer below is better than the post I found on this topic anyway :D 

Suggest an answer