How to clone issues to a new project?

Is there a method or plugin that will enable me to clone issues from 1 project to another Project?

I am looking to still keep the Original Issue in it's Project and then have a "Clone" issue inanother project. So 2 identical issues in 2 seperate projects.

7 answers

1 accepted

Hi Nancy

You can clone the issue and use the option More>Move when editing the issue to transfer it to another project.

Hope it helps

Ricardo Carracedo.

This seems like the easiest way to do this without installing a plugin. Sure it's an extra step but it works.

What happens to the workflow, custom issue types and custom fields?
Does that data still exist even if the project hasnt been configured to have those specific fields?

any way to do this in bulk without the plugin?

Like 2 people like this

There is bulk move,

You need to make sure the destination project is as close to the original project as prossible (workflows, etc..)

Then you can bulk move as outlined here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Modifying+Multiple+('Bulk')+Issues#ModifyingMultiple%28%27Bulk%27%29Issues-bulkmoveBulkMove

Hope this helps.

I'm looking to keep the issues in the original project. Not looking to "Move" issues but to "Clone" issues in another project. So essentially, 2 projects with identical issues. I want this ability only at certain times to minimize double data entry.

In other words, if you're on Cloud, as usual, you're out of luck...

I installed this (on 7.12) and it seems to work as advertised. It does exactly what the name suggests: it lets you clone an issue, then immediately opens the Jira Move wizard. While handy, it really only eliminates a single button click on an otherwise cumbersome process. 

Thanks for the info. That would have been disappointing to find out.

After trying all the methods/plugins suggested on this page, I have settled with a nearly equivalent (and much easier) method: Create Linked Issue. This copies most of the fields I care about (including, optionally, attachments and comments) and lets you choose the target Project all in one screen. 

Biggest disadvantages: does not copy Fix Version or Sprint and does not let you assign the ticket until after it is created. 

Other huge disadvantage (that I just became aware of): this feature is only available for "Business"-type projects (Service Desk, etc), not "Software"-type projects.

If you want to Bulk Clone on Jira Cloud you can try our app Deep Clone for Jira to copy and move hundreds of issues in one action.

You just have to filter for the issues you want to clone and then use the Deep Clone: Bulk Clone function.

0 votes

Why not let the Project be an editable field?  This would seem to be simple coding.  yes, we are on the cloud.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published 7 hours ago in Jira

How you can achieve compact and easy-to-maintain workflows in your JIRA( Server)

This approach requires you to have the JIRA administrative rights. The main aim of this article is to help you achieve an organized, easy-to-maintain workflows in your JIRA instance thereby, reducin...

98 views 0 0
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you