How to clear the resolution on a ticket?

Luke Deniston August 25, 2013

A ticket was closed and marked as "Won't Fix". The customer chaged their minds, and now the ticket is reopened, but I can't clear the resolution field.

All of the commits related to this issue are tagged with the ticket number, so creating a new ticket would be a bad solution.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Luke Deniston August 27, 2013

There is no way to do it without changing my workflow. While JIRA seems highly configurable, any deviation from how they expect you to use it will result in major problems.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2013

Um, yes, your workflow is incorrect, so you need to edit it...

Note, there is a known bug in Greenhopper in that when you convert projects to using the "simplified workflow", it puts "clear resolution" on ALL the transitions. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Unable+to+set+issues+to+Resolved+using+Greenhopper+Simplified+Workflow

My workflow is not incorrect. There is no "Reopen" transition in my workflow. Creating an extra transition just to overcome the arbitrarily imposed limitations of the software seems silly.

Like Kysa Meyerer likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2013

It's not an arbitrarily imposed limitation, it's done by design. An arguable one that I'd be strongly tempted to change to a completely different model of course. But it's still not wrong, your workflow doesn't take account of the way things are, so it's incorrect (until the rules are changed).

I don't know why you keep commenting on here. If the software is designed so that a re-open transition is required, and a post function is required to be on the re-open transition, then the software should not allow you to create a workflow that does not have this.

Like Kysa Meyerer likes this
1 vote
Cyril Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

You have two things to fix:

1. Fix the workflow so that it clears the resolution field when moving from Resolved or Closed Status back to Re-Open status.

2. Fix the existing issues where the resolution field is set on issues that are in an Open state.

To fix #1:

Add the post function to update the issue field to "None" to the Re-Open transition(s) in your workflow.

To fix #2:

• Install the Script Runner Plugin
  • Create a filter that returns a list of the issues where the resolution is still set when it shouldn't be. e.g. status in (Open,"Re-Opened","In Progress") and resolution is not empty
  • Go to administration section
  • Goto the "Builtin Scripts" area (installed by script runner plugin)
  • Click "Bulk Fix Resolutions".
  • Choose your filter and choose "None" for the resolution field

1) Can't install script runner plugin, using hosted instance of JIRA.

2) Don't have a rigid workflow, all transitions are global.

Cyril Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2013

Can you create a global transition in the workflow called "Clear Resolution" and:

1. Put a condition on it that only members of the group 'jira-system-administrators' can execute it.

2. Put a post function in that clears the resolution.

3. No screen associated with the workflow action.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2013

The "reopen" transition should have had a "post function" on it that says "Resolution will be cleared". I'd re-add that transition and then cycle back through closed and reopen again.

(You can't just put resolution on an edit screen - Jira removes the "none" option from it)

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Hi Luke, in fact you can edit you workflow and add in a Post Function transition in any step you want. But I think Nic option of putting the field on the edit screen is faster, and easier. You can erase it later.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2013

Ramiro, that does not work.

If you add the resolution to a screen, Jira removes the none option from it. In other words, putting a resolution on a screen sets it, even if you want to unset it.

Like Albert_James likes this

Suggest an answer