How to change the project type with next-gen projects

Chris Riddell February 21, 2019

Hi there,

I only have "next gen projects" that are marked as:

Type = software

Somehow I have created one project with the type = business

But I cannot find how to alter the type in new gen projects - do anyone know? It seems illusive to me?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2019

Hi @Chris Riddell - Next-gen projects can only have one type (Software).

If you have a Business project, it could be that you went to create a project at some point, and selected a non-software project template (eg: Project management, Lead tracking, etc).

If you want to change your Business project to a Software project, you can head to the Business project, select Project settings, and under Project type select Software.

2019-02-22_16-23-59.png

Nailed it Kevin!

Sorry I didn't put that together myself!

A tad confusing but I get it now:

Scrum & kanban are defined as type = software

But, as I did, if you want a similar yet improved system for business tasks you should be using task tracking projects!

BOOM!

Thanks Kevin

Like # people like this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2019

No worries Chris, happy to help!

0 votes
Siddhesh Parab September 3, 2019

Hi 

I am trying my best to understand the process to change the project type. However, from the above discussion, I have concluded that we can't change the project type as its the default with the template we select at the initial step of creating the project. 

But when I created the project with the help of the project management template and the lead tracking template and later trying to change their project type its lock and shows that its default and hence unable to change the type.

Regards, 

Siddhesh

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2019

Hello,

You can not alter the project type field in new-gen projects. If you want to migrate a next-gen project to a classic project, you should follow this guide:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects-957974933.html

Hi Alexey!

Oh thankyou! Do you know why I have different types then?

Somehow I have a different type but I don't remember choosing it?

It's frustrating for my OCD to have this not nice and clean lol

Chris

Like Siddhesh Parab likes this

Suggest an answer