How to change status of ticket via REST-API with issue key?

Lindsay Herron September 20, 2022

Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to change the status for a ticket using the REST-API.

I thought I needed to find the ID from the Issue key, and I do find an ID, but not the ID apparently needed to change the status.

I could be doing something dumb here, but any help would be appreciated.

Step 1: Find the Ticket

TICKET_STRING = r".../rest/api/2/issue/" #... is replaced with my JIRA tracker instace
link = TICKET_STRING + self.ticket
response = requests.get(link, headers=self.headers)
dictResponse = json.loads(response.content.decode("utf-8"))
self.ticket_id = dictResponse["id"]
Step 2: Change Status with ID
XRAY_STRING = r".../rest/raven/1.0/api/testrun/" #It is of type testrun, but not sure if that is really needed here.. I tried with TICKET_STRING but it also didn't work.
link = XRAY_STRING + self.ticket_id + "/status?status=" + status
response = requests.put(link, headers=self.headers)
But with response, I get ERROR: b'Test Run with Id #### was not found in the server' #where the symbols are of course replaced with the ID I found in Step1
Also, just in case it is relavent, but I don't think it is for the issue I'm facing:
self.headers = {
            "Authorization": "Basic " + self.user_password,
            "Content-Type": "application/json",
            "Accept": "application/json",
            "X-Atlassian-Token": "no-check",
        }

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

Hi,

Welcome to the community

your link's variable should be something like this:

<yourJiraInstance>/rest/raven/1.0/api/testrun/{id}/

then you need to create a json that you will attach to your request

https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY/Test+Runs+-+REST

https://requests.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user/quickstart/#more-complicated-post-requests

Are you referring to step 1 or step 2?

The issue is, I don't have the ID for step 1. I only have the key for the issue. When I tried to get the ID via Step 1, the ID is not valid in step 2.

The link you provided is also already what I have in step 2. In Step 1, if I try to use the testrun link instead with the key of the issue, I get a 404 Error.

The solution is either hopefully generic for all issue types, not just testrun, or it provides a way for me to get the proper ID.

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

If you want to update a testrun and you doesn't know it's id you'll need to make a call to this API with the testExec and testIssueKey

http://yourserver/rest/raven/1.0/api/testrun?testExecIssueKey=TEST-123&testIssueKey=TEST-321 

you will find the id of your test run and then you will be able to update it with this call

put ==> /rest/raven/1.0/api/testrun/{id}/

I also don't have the TestExec key. I only have the testrun key.

There is no generic way of changing the status? That is separate from whether it is a testrun, testexec or any other type?

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

I actually don't find this page so helpful for transition. I don't see how I can change the status here. They don't have a key defined for status except under SCHEMA, but even under the SCHEMA tab I only see types being defined as "string" for anything to do with the status.

In short, I don't understand what my json data would look like in this case.

data = {???}

link = ".../rest/api/2/issue/" + self.ticketKey + "/transitions?expand=transitions.fields"
response = requests.post(link, json=data, headers=self.headers) #where self.headers is already defined in my original post.

If data should just be:

data = {"transition": {
                    "id": "5"
                    },
                }
Then I don't know where the transition id comes from.
Any additional hints on that would be helpful.

I had found this ticket: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cannot-transition-an-issue-via-Rest-API/qaq-p/1194157

But in doing the following, I get a 405 error:

self.headersStatus = {
            "Authorization": "Basic " + self.user_password,
            "Content-Type": "application/json"
        }
data = {"transition": {
                    "id": status # or "5", but I was hoping for "PASS" or some other string that means something to me instead of a number.
                    },
                }
link =  r".../rest/api/2/issue/"+ self.ticket + "/transitions"
response = requests.put(link, json=data, headers=self.headersStatus)
I also tried headers=self.headers from my intial definition, but it also didn't work.
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

You need to call this api:

GET /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions

It will give you all the information you need to make the transition then make the transition with the api below

POST /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions

Ah now I get it! Okay, perfect! Thank you!!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer