How to change organization admin, while the old org admin already resigned

Fiona Kesuma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

I'm assigned as user admin, and i need to check the billing. but as per now, it's restricted to org admin.

unfortunately, the old org admin already resigned. is there any thing i can do for this?

thank you

2 answers

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

Hi Fiona - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Was the org admin the only one? Or is there someone else still there who is also an org admin? 

If no one, you will probably need to open a support ticket with Atlassian to get you (or someone else) added as an Org Admin. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Fiona Kesuma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

hi John! thank you for your help. yes, he is the only org admin, that's why i cannot assign anyone else to be org admin at this moment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2024

That's what I figured. So you can try what Dirk suggested where IT has access to the departed person's email. Then send a password reset request for the old Org Admin. The request will come to their email, then someone can click on the link and reset the password for you. Then you can log in as the user and add yourself or someone else as an Org Admin. Then deactivate the old Org Admin account. 

If that's too much, then open the support ticket with Atlassian for help. 

Either way, once you have a new person in there, you should grant at least one other person Org Admin access as a back up. I always had my boss as the back up to me. He didn't do anything with it, but at least he could get in if something happened to me. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2024

Hi @Fiona Kesuma ,

In addition to @John Funk 's excellent suggestion of opening a ticket you could also look in to having your IT department re-create their mailbox/account.

If they  can provide you or their manager temporary access to the mailbox you could enable to old org admin's account and provide a new admin permissions.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 2, 2024

Yes - great suggestion as well!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events