How to change order of statuses in a Two Dimension filter?

In a two dimensional filter choose:
X = Status
Y = Project

The statuses are showed in the following order:
Open - Resolved – Closed - Acceptance Test – System Test – Build&Configure – Building&Configuring – Describe Requirement – System IntegrationTest – Release – Waiting/On hold – Review – Designing Architecture

Why this order?
Is it possible to rearrange the order of the different statuses?

5 answers

1 accepted

In a two dimensional filter gadget the statuses are ordered by there ID. Since you can't change the IDs of an status, the only solution would be to create new statuses in the correct order and use the new ones in your workflow (but I'm not sure if this is worth it)

How stupid. This is exactly the kind of stuff that makes me so frustrated with Jira. If you can't customize the column order, they should default by type. IE. If you are using status as your column, the default order should be based on your workflow order. This question is TWO YEARS old and common sense still hasn't fixed this. Such a great dashboard gadget is pretty much useless.

If anyone else if looking for how to do this using Groovy / Script Runner here is my working code (just run it in the Script Console):

import com.atlassian.jira.config.StatusManager
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

StatusManager statusManager = ComponentAccessor.getComponentOfType(StatusManager.class)

def id = '6' // ID of the status item
def moves = 110 //number of moves
def up = true //change the direction of the moves

def i = 0
while (i < moves){
    if (up) {
        statusManager.moveStatusUp(id)
    }
    else {
        statusManager.moveStatusDown(id)   
    }
i++
}

Thanks for this @James Gibbard; spent hours looking for a better solution, but apparently reordering the statuses is the only way to tackle this.

One word of warning - start with the number of moves low and work your way up. I started off with 120 moves at once but apparently our instance felt that was just too much to cope with at once and crapped the bed.

We have a company of 3000 people and many, many different workflows. To not have statuses in reports ordered by the workflow status in some way is inane.

Is there another dashboard widget that allows a different ordering method for statuses?

Ageed - ridiculous.  Haven't found another solution yet...

Hi. Looking for the same feature. 

Is there already a feature request for Jira?

What @Steve Butler1 said worked for us.

Go to Admin > Issues > Statuses and use the arrows to establish the order you want to reorder the 2D columns.

Would it be possible to specify where you get to Admin > Issues > Statuses? 

The closest to an Admin section I can find is going JIRA Administration (the gear icon at the top-right) > Projects > Project list > [my project] > Administration > Issue types > issue 

From here I can't change anything, even though I am an admin. This is JIRA v6.4.14 if that's relevant.

Hi @Jacob Bartlett, I think it's still in the same place - select "Issues" from that 'cog' drop-down instead of "Projects" and look for "Statuses" under the 'Issue Attributes' header.

Note that this is an instance-wide setting, so going to the administration section of a particular project isn't going to help.

Thank you for responding so quickly. 

It looks like I only have a "Projects" item in the drop-down, with no "Issues" drop-down. 

Hi @Jacob Bartlett, this is the cog in the top-right between the "?" help drop-down and your profile? What other options do you see there?

The URL for this section (at least on Server 7.1.7) is "xxxx.com/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,335 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot