It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to change jira project's workflow via REST API Edited

Hi! I've a problem with changejira project's workflow via REST API.

I have a jira version 6.3.8

I tried to use this manual - https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/6.3.8/

Maybe there is some hidden not documented API?

How can i do this?

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel Community Leader Jun 16, 2017

Hi,

I've never heard of a REST API to change a project's workflow scheme.

Why do you want to do that? 

Hi!

We often creating JIRA projects (for customers) and always change default WF to our custom WF scheme. So.. I just want to automate it.

Thomas Schlegel Community Leader Jun 16, 2017

Why don't you create a template-project and then create the new project with shared configuration? 

Changing a workflow requires JIRA to do a whole swathe of integrity checks that can often lead to a load of questions needing to go back to the user.

A REST interface for that would be hideously complex and barely ever used, so Atlassian have not written one.

The answer for your usage really is what Thomas said - use a shared configuration.

On this topic, I have no idea how to use the REST API to actually copy the settings from another project to a new project.  How do you do that?  I can find no documentation on how to accomplish this.  Sure, it mentions the `projectTemplateKey`, but I couldn't get it to work with that and it looks like it's more specifically an internal, non-changeable project template key.

If you please, could you give an example of how to do this via the API?

Rephrased to ask more directly:  How do you create a project with a shared configuration via the REST API.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra Community Leader Jun 16, 2017

Using REST APIs the best you can do it to change the status of an issue i.e. do a workflow transition for a issue, but you can't change jira project's workflow to another workflow this isn't possible using REST API.

Programmatically this can be done - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/how-to-programatically-change-a-project-s-workflow-in-Jira/qaq-p/474694 

Link fails.  Do you have an example you can show me or even another link that isn't dead that I could look at?  I have had little success in finding non-prohibitively complex solutions to this problem.

To look a little closer at that question/searching around, this looks like it is an answer for if you have access to the Java API.  In my case, this will not work because I don't.  I'll need to do something if possible via the REST API.

I guess I could try to make a plugin that can do that, but I'm hoping to not have to go that deep just for this situation.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

872 views 6 24
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you