How to change a starting status of one of the issues when an issue is created?

Alex Shirokov February 15, 2021

Gurus, 

I have a project where all the newly created issues start at "Backlog" (To Do) status.
I was approached by one of our clients and I'm requested to change the starting status for one issue type (Task) only to a different starting point - "In progress" instead of Backlog status. 
I'm sitting here completely disappointed in my mental abilities! 

Thank you in advance for your replies

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

Hi Alex,

There are some questions I have around this that might alter my suggestion, like will the issuetype be used for other customers? Assuming so, I would suggest that you use automation to transition the issue from backlog to In Progress as follows...

Trigger - Issue created

Condition - client = xxx (now you need to identify how you define the client, e.g. custom field, group, etc. and construct use either Field Condition or JQL for this condition

Condition - Issuetype = yyy

Action - transition issue to In Progress

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2021

when you say this "schema" what does that mean? Let me explain...

Based upon your post I assume that there are more than this one client being served by this project. Correct?

You mention you want a single issuetype to not start with Backlog but rather In Progress. Given you last comment are you saying that this one issuetype will no be needed by any other client? If so you could choose to simply copy the current workflow, edit and remove backlog and replace w/ In Progress. Now I don't recommend this TBH. The initial status really should be a "To Do" status category and not an "In Progress" one. But then again I don't pretend to know your business and if starting with In Progress makes sense then proceed down the separate workflow path for this one issuetype.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2021

Alex, let's keep the conversation in this single thread using Reply instead of Answer.

So if you copy the current workflow, edit it to meet your needs and then come back to your project workflow area and click Add workflow > existing and find the new workflow then you will be prompted for which issuetype to apply to the new workflow. In this way you will have two workflows. The original will apply to Bug, Subtask, Epic, Change issuetypes and the new workflow will apply to the Task issuetype.

Alex Shirokov February 16, 2021

Hi Jack, 

I'm always using "Reply" and not the Answer. :)

Thank you very much. I clearly understood your explanation and will try it.

0 votes

Hi Jack, 
Thank you for your reply. No other clients won't use this schema. It is only for one unique project. 

Thank you, Jack

It is a bit confusing to me TBH. 

This particular project has five types of issues 

Task, Bug, Subtask, Epic, Change 

All of the tasks should start their workflow from "Backlog", the only "Task" should be excluded from starting from Backlog but in "In Progress". 

I'm afraid if I apply a new workflow all tasks will start from "In progress". 

I think it should be some other way to do it. What do you think?

Thank you once more

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events