How to calculate number of days an issue spent in previous transition status before it reaches to a

Neha Panchal August 17, 2022

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on eazyBI, and would really appreciate your support on the following query: 

I am using Kanban board - JIRA software 

I have four columns on the board: Readiness check, In-progress, In-validation, Execution, Done

Two teams work on a single board. 

My team only works in the first two columns of the board- Readiness check and In-progress

So, for us when we move the project to - In-validation status it is completed by our end. 

I want to get a report on the number of issues transitioned to - In-Validation (Delivered by my team) in a month and the average number of workdays those issues spent in the previous status - Readiness check & In-progress, to measure my team's execution time. 

If you have any other solution by which I can get the execution time of my team, please share that with me. 

Thank you!

3 answers

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 18, 2022

Hello @Neha Panchal ,

Our team at OBSS built Time in Status for this exact need. You can use Time in Status to get these reports in Jira or use the app's REST API to pull the calculated values to a BI platform. 

Time in Status mainly allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status and on each assignee

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png  tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png     

The app has Consolidated Columns feature. This feature allows you to combine the duration for multiple statuses into a single column and exclude unwanted ones. It is the most flexible way to get any measurement you might want. Measurements like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc.

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per customer (organization) or average resolution time per sprint, week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) or sprints is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend.

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example, see average InProgress time per project and per issue type.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX, or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

0 votes
Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

Hi @Neha Panchal

Welcome to the eazyBI world.

You might want to check the predefined measures "Transitions to status issues count" and "Average workdays in transition status" that would let you calculate the count of issues that moved to a displayed status and also the average time in workdays issue spent in the transition before it was changed

Just use the "Transition status" dimension instead of the "Status" dimension in report columns. 

Then add the "Time" dimension to page filters and select the time period for your report.

See a similar report here: https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/145950-average-time-in-status-cycle-time

Martins / support@eazybi.com

Neha Panchal August 17, 2022

Hi @Sir Mārtiņš Vanags ,

Thank you for your quick reply. 

Actually, with these measure combinations, I am getting no. of issues transitioned to different statuses & the number of days spent in transition status for a particular selected month/period. 

But I am more interested in finding: 

For a particular month, the number of issues that transitioned to a particular status (from In-progress or Readiness check to "In-Validation") in a month, and for those found issues - the average number of days when they were in the previous status (In-progress or Readiness check ).

Is it possible to get this data?

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2022

@Neha Panchal 

It sounds possible. You could try creating new user-defined measures to combine transition dimension members and then do some issue-level calculations for the first set of issues to find the average number of workdays issues spent in both statuses previous for a given month. For more details please reach out to support@eazybi.com and share more details about the layout of your report.

Martins / eazyBI

0 votes
Lakshmi Priya August 17, 2022

@Neha Panchal Did you try checking this plugin if it helps ? 
Time in Status Reports 

Suggest an answer