How to calculate committed story points using jira data

Sandra Ganguly August 11, 2022

I need help understanding which fields/data elements are used to calculated the committed story points in jira.  What I want to do is extract the issues with the required data elements and then do a pivot table in excel which shows a more details velocity report so need to understand how I can do that with the data to show the committed story points to compare to the Done storypoints.  Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Hello @Sandra Ganguly 

Committed Story Points is a value that Jira calculates when a sprint is started by looking at the Story Points field of the standard issues in your sprint, but it is not stored in a field that you can export. Essentially you would need to export the issues in your sprint, including the Story Points values, right at the beginning of your sprint. Changes to story points during the sprint, by changing Story Point values or addition/deletion of stories after the sprint starts, does not change the Committed Story Points that were calculated at the moment the sprint started.

Done Story Points is likewise calculated by Jira when the sprint is Completed, and is also not affected by changing story point values on Done issue that were in that sprint or removing/adding issues to the sprint after the sprint has completed. So, again, you would have to export the data for the issues in the sprint at the time it is completed to get the Story Point values at the moment the sprint was completed.

Dan Dominguez February 4, 2023

hi—

this seems like a function that is pretty critical to any sort of enterprise level reporting—are there plans to surface this field for export?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2023

I'm just another user of the products, not a member of the Atlassian team. I'm not aware of plans around adding an enhancement like this. You could ask your Jira Administrator to contact Atlassian Support directly to find out if there is an open change request for this.

There is at least one third party app (for Jira Cloud) available that can provide the information. I have not used it, but found it while searching the Atlassian Marketplace.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1229698/sprint-reviewer?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

You could also pull the information using Automation Rules that are triggered at the Start and Completion of each sprint, and save the information elsewhere using Send Email or another output option.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-cloud-automation/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events