How to bulk update sub task summary

vinkatkuri August 1, 2020

I am trying to update summary for a Sub task by importing the CSV File.

I am getting this error msg  "Subtask 'Avengers' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created." 

I am not sure how to map Issue Key and ignore in my import.

here are the fields i try to import from CSV. 

Issue Type    Issue key      Issue id         Parent id      Summary
Sub-task          1654          243190         243189           Avengers

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2020

Hello @vinkatkuri

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Indeed, I believe that your CSV is missing the whole issue-key of the existing sub-task, causing the system to try to import it as a new sub-task and failing due to the incorrect parent ID.

The issue key of your sub-task is composed of the Project key + The issue number and you can find it by navigating to the sub-task and check the left-top corner of the issue view, considering the last key in the line. At the example below, it is SCRUM-134:

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 17.56.43.png

Additionally, I would like to say that the easiest way to update your issues through CSV import would be by following the steps below:

1. Navigate you your issue navigator and create a filter returning all the issues you want to update
  2. Click in Export > Export Excel CSV (all fields)
    Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 18.00.58.png
  3. Open the exported file and edit it as you want, keeping the issue-key untouched and saving your changes
  4. Import the file to your site, mapping the issue-key, summary, project fields and the fields you edited in the file

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer