It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to bulk update sub task summary Edited

I am trying to update summary for a Sub task by importing the CSV File.

I am getting this error msg  "Subtask 'Avengers' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created." 

I am not sure how to map Issue Key and ignore in my import.

here are the fields i try to import from CSV. 

Issue Type    Issue key      Issue id         Parent id      Summary
Sub-task          1654          243190         243189           Avengers

1 answer

Hello @vinkatkuri

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Indeed, I believe that your CSV is missing the whole issue-key of the existing sub-task, causing the system to try to import it as a new sub-task and failing due to the incorrect parent ID.

The issue key of your sub-task is composed of the Project key + The issue number and you can find it by navigating to the sub-task and check the left-top corner of the issue view, considering the last key in the line. At the example below, it is SCRUM-134:

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 17.56.43.png

Additionally, I would like to say that the easiest way to update your issues through CSV import would be by following the steps below:

1. Navigate you your issue navigator and create a filter returning all the issues you want to update
  2. Click in Export > Export Excel CSV (all fields)
    Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 18.00.58.png
  3. Open the exported file and edit it as you want, keeping the issue-key untouched and saving your changes
  4. Import the file to your site, mapping the issue-key, summary, project fields and the fields you edited in the file

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you